Moving a Hosta

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Kevin Cowans, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,134
    Hello all

I Hope your are Well.

I have a Plantain lily 'Aureomarginata', I think, that I think I need to Move, slightly.

This is the Area of the Border where it is located:

20240403_091224.jpg

And, this is the Hosta:

20240403_091210.jpg

Firstly, Please ignore the Lawn, it was recently Scarified and Aerated (Hollow Tine) and it has not Fully Recovered, Yet.

Do you think the Hosta will be fine where it is or would You Move it, Slightly to the Left so that it is more in the Open?

If You would Move it, how would I go about it and when would be the Best Time to do so?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +5,243
    It's not going to be seen too well there, so if you have a better site for it, that would probably be better. I'd move it now.
    Just get as much root ball as you can and make sure the new site is nicely prepped :smile:

I've just seen you want to keep it more or less in the same site. It would depend how much room there is for it - you might have to bring it forward a bit more, which will mean it overhanging the lawn. If any of the other plants could be moved, the area to the left would give a better spot.

3. Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,938
    Why not leave it where it is for this year and see how it looks and does? Why are you worried about it? The leaves will make a nice contrast to the plant next to it. Does it overhang the edge of the lawn?
    They are tough and will grow in almost any location. Now is the ideal time to move them. Cut, using a spade, a circle around the root, far enough away not to cut through too many of the roots, lift out, cut into smaller pieces using a large cooks knife, spade or two forks back to back if it is very large, and replant the pieces where you want.
    Yours doesn't look that big so would be easy to lift and move.

4. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,543
    I'd move it too, fine to do it now. But as @fairygirl says, there isn't much room for it. Can you move the plant on the left?

5. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,134
    Hello all

Thanks for the Replies, it is appreciated.

I have been out and Moved it, slightly to the Left just out from under the Phormium.

This is how it looks now:

20240403_100241.jpg

When it Grows, it will now Fill the Area between the Phormium and Astilbe on the Right and the Heleborus on the Left and Behind it.

Where it was, when Grown it was covered by the Phormium so not ideal, hopefully its new position will be more appealing.

There is a Rowen Tree to the Left so I am not able to Move it anymore in that direction, I hit some Tree Roots when Moving the Hosta so hopefully I have not caused any issues.

I added some Mycorrhizal Fungi to the Planting Hole and Sprinkled some BFB around it, hopefully that will help it settle.

Thanks

Kevin

6. JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,999
    Hostas are fine in shade but you want to be able to see it, so in the shade of the fence rather than under the phormium would be good. I'd do it now. Dig it up with a big block of soil around the roots and replant the whole thing without disturbing the roots, water it in well to settle the soil around it (even if it's raining) and it'll grow away as if nothing happened.
    Edit - we posted at the same time!

7. Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,994
    Should be fine where you have moved it.