moving a japanese maple

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daznjo, Aug 2, 2011.

1. daznjo

daznjo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello again to all

We have a big planter in the garden about 6ft x 2ft and it has a beautiful Japanese maple growing in it. We have no idea how old it is but sizewise it is apout 3ft tall and 3/4 ft spread. We want to demolish the planter and build a bigger tiered planter in wich we are going to have a tiered waterfall. Obviously this means the maple will need moving from 1 box to another. When is the best time of year to do this? im told these things cost a fortune and it will look stunning it the new feature so i dont want to stress it. currently its still in full leaf and is just showing seed pods.

I recon i can shift it with minimal root disturbance. so its just timing of doing it.

2. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    You should do it in winter after it goes dormant.

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    If it is in a box it can be moved at almost any time (just the same as buying a new tree in a pot and then planting out :))
    It is quite large however, and it would be necessary to move it with as little disturbance as possible. If you can prepare the new planter first and then move it quickly from one to the other it would be ideal
    Otherwise wait until late autumn when the tree is dormant as suggested

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    choose your new site for the maple carefully ...

try and find a position in your garden that is similar to where it has been growing

I have planted several Japanese maple this year in various gardens ...

I found they don't like wind and they don't like full sun ...

I mostly planted the bloodgood ...

one of the acers I planted was from a farmers market/caboot ... a large one (approx 5 foot tall with a good spread... was a bargain for £15) ... there was no label and the guy who sold it said he was not sure, but said he thought it is a palmatum

has orangey/coppery coloured leaves ... this one was planted in a sunny position and gets the odd blast of wind ... it is thriving, but I do water it well (a full watering can once a week)

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    They definitely do NOT like the wind, and they just MUST have good drainage, otherwise you are in trouble :)

• Like Like x 1