Moving a peony

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I am thinking about moving my peony. At the moment its up a corner where it can only be seen when the cars are away. I was think of cutting the peony in half and planting the pieces in front of my Rose's. Here they will be seen properly. I thought about replanting the old spot with cytisus. It would fill the gap nicely and add some colour to that corner.

20190102_112147.jpg
    The peony is in the corner by the drain cover. I am thinking about putting a cytisus or two around d here.

20180515_131917.jpg
    This is where I would put the peony.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated .

G.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    The books will say do not move peonies. However, you can. I do. A lot of folk on the forum have done successfully
    The points to remember are to plant in full sun, to plant so that the rhizomes can be baked by the sun (viz. not to plant too deeply), that neighbouring plants do not shade the rhizomes, that soil drains well and that the soil is reasonably rich by adding compost etc. They will not thrive in depleted poor soil, in my experience
    Remember, peonies flower for a very short time; mostly they then provide very little to see so siting them with this in mind is advisable.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
      Ratings:
      +323
      Verdun is spot on here ; I've successfully moved peonies numerous times .
      Sometimes the short flowering period is compensated for by attractive reddish colouration of the foliage in late Summer/early Autumn .
      The flowers on my three plants normally get blasted to pieces by the wind anyway .

• Like Like x 2
      • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,967
        Strangely it is cold that they need to initiate flowering which is why the top of the plant should be no more than an inch below soil level.

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
        +5,414
        That spot is definitely sunny. It does well enough in the soil it's in now so hopefully moving it sideways a few feet shouldn't upset it too much. Can I cut it in half? I have read several articles that say I can? If so, when would be the best time to do it?

G.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Autumn really but now is good :). Its when I would do it anyway.
        Funny when I look back....my old mum made me realise peonies can be moved as she did it so often, giving away pieces to her friends etc. Pretty sure she didnt know the "expert" way to do it; just knew it would work:noidea:
        You need to dig up clump and separate roots. You need a growing point with each separate root..... much as dahlia tubers and intact stems/grow points. Perhaps washing the clump will help you see more clearly
        I would divide into 2,
        Ah! Sounds good spot then Gary so yes it should continue to flower. Try to make incorporate some dried manure, compost in the planting mix. However, peonies are not to be mulched, in my experience, so as not to cover the rhizomes too much. :)
        My own peonies, just a couple, are planted in reasonable shelter and look good albeit for a couple of weeks. Agree with PaulB3, mine also produce attractive reddish leaf colour before the foliage dies down.
        Interesting info Palustris about the initial cold period....always learning something:).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
      • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
        +5,414
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Much as I said Gary. :)
        Pretty much verbatim???

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
          +5,414
          Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All the daffodil and allium bulbs are starting to shoot so hopefully come spring that part of the garden will be full of colour.

:smile:

G.