Moving fruit plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Katkatkat, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Katkatkat

Katkatkat Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I've just got use of some garden space, it's on a long term temporary basis (ie, it doesn't belong to me but I have it for as long as both sides are happy) However in 2 years I will hopefully be at the top of the allotment waiting list. When I get the allotment I plan to convert the border to flowers for the owners enjoyment.

So, what I'm wondering is, I really wanted to plant some fruit bushes/plants, probably blueberry, honeybush, lingonberry and redcurrants. When I get my allotment would it be ok to dig these out and carefully transplant them in to the allotment or would I be best being patient for another few years and waiting until I have the allotment before growing these?

Thanks

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    You'll be able to move them when they are dormant, ie from late autumn to the end of winter.

I saw from your intro thread that you have raspberries at the moment. They can sometimes just run riot, and when you move them, you'll probably find that they come back anyway, so you end up with them in both sites.

3. Katkatkat

Katkatkat Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you, that's good to know, especially when some of them take a couple of years to produce fruit.

The rasps are coming out, I tried one and they're horrible but by the sound of it they'll continue springing up all over the place even if I dig them out?