1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving fruit trees? help

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by choppy, Mar 25, 2005.

1. choppy

choppy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all, I have recently taken on an allotment, a derelict one at that. Now that I have cleared most of the rubbish i have found some blackberry and gooseberry bushes. Can I take these out of the ground and plant them in pots whilst I work the soil and de-weed it? or will this kill them?. If this is not an option does anyone know what i could use to kill the weeds that wont kill my bushes.

:( I await for your replys. thank you.

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You are just about still in time for removing them, its best to transpalant when dormant but they will be starting to shoot roundabouts now

alternatively try to scoop across the surface of the soil under the bushes with a spade and remove the weeds that way

3. choppy

choppy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply, the bushes are nicely situated and have started to bud. I do plan to make the area into a fruit cage and want to be completely sure the soil was weed free. which of the above would you advise to be my best course of action.

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If they are already nicely situated and growing the safest and least stressfull option for the bushes is the 2nd one, one benefit is after scooping the weeds away you can replace the top section with some better soil/compost (top dressing)