Moving potted plants around

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by hoofy, May 1, 2022.

1. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +229
    My girlfriend has a back yard with lots of plants in pots and she has always enjoyed moving them around every few weeks or so, but, I'm beginning to wonder if this might be a bad idea as the plants environment is always changing as the amount of sun obviously changes when the yard is fairly small with fences and walls all around casting shade.

Bad idea or no problem?

2. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,782
    This is of interest to me. My wife keeps turning the planters when the flowers face the sun. I keep telling her she will confuse them. In nature that cannot happen!

• Like Like x 2
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,435
      Interesting to me too, as most of my experience is with plants in the ground. I just read up as much as I can about the plants and try to move them into the optimum spot in terms of sun exposure, really.

@Jocko I'm like your wife and enjoy confusing my plants occasionally (:biggrin:), but I've always assumed that the small amount of energy required to compensate for phototropism isn't enough to have any sort of detrimental effect on the plant. :dunno: Fascinated to see what more experienced and knowledgeable container gardeners here think about that particular topic!

Nick

• Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +8,067
        Plants grow towards light so in an artificial setting, such as in a walled garden or on a windowsill, it makes total sense to turn the plants around if the desired outcome is a symmetrical, bushy plant.

If a plant is allowed to just grow towards the light the end result may be a wonky one, which may look quite nice and have some character. :)

I don't believe plants get confused, in the nature a fallen branch may cast a profound shade for years or a gale may expose new light on undergrowth.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +19,416
          My garden isn't huge but it isn't small either, and I have lots of potted plants dotted about the place and on a patio.
          I often move them to different positions because I get fed up with seeing them in the same place all the time. The plants don't seem to mind, they just grow as normal.

(I'm the same in the house - keep moving the furniture around and used to confuse my late partner, who often asked if she was in the right house :heehee: )

• Like Like x 3
          • Funny Funny x 3
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: May 2, 2022
          • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
            +229
            Thanks for the replies. So it doesn't seem to be a problem as plenty of people do it.

I was trying to work out why some plants weren't doing so well and moving them did occur to me, but it looks like I should be looking at something else.

• Like Like x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +19,416
              Some plants prefer a bit of shade so it depends where you move them to. When I move shade-loving plants I move them to another bit of shade.

Another problem is often with overwatering/too soggy compost if it's a plant that likes free drainage. Maybe you could check the conditions the particular plants need. Carefully tipping it out of the pot may reveal the problem at the roots.

• Like Like x 3
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +92,606
                Funnily enough I only more one's that are growing in open positions.

Some I have backed up against walls or hedges.

I tend to not move those ones as they kind of grow to fit the space they have and if I keep moving them that never happens or they look odd when moved to another place.

Most of the time it's more about fitting the plants to a position that they like ie. Full sun ,shade etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +9,684
                  Gardening on a balcony brings that sort of thing to the fore! As the only light comes from the front (mostly) my plants are always bending towards the light. I don't very often turn my plants around - only a few that perhaps I notice are more inclined than the others.

I've grown my own standard Fuchsias over the years we've lived here & they do need to be turned every few weeks to get a more balanced head.

In our living room we used to have a Dragon tree (till our daughter gave her mum a couple of budgies as a Christmas/retiring present & they pecked the branches so far back I nearly lost the tree & had to move it to the 2nd bedroom) it was in a small window in the living room & as it grew quite quickly I used to turn it around once or twice a year. As a result the branches became very twisted over the years. This is a rather extreme case of what we are talking about but it does show the effect that moving or not moving a plant can have on it!
                  Dragon tree on the balcony from outside 19th May 2017.jpg
                  Dragon tree in bedroom 14th April 2020 001.jpg

Dragon tree in bedroom before pruning & repotting 6th April 2021 001.jpg
                  Dragon Tree in bedroom 8th March 2022 001.jpg

All these show just how extreme they can be but at the same they add another dimension & become a talking point!

• Like Like x 3