Moving raspberry canes and why no fruit this year?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jennywren, Jul 4, 2015.

1. jennywren

jennywren Gardener

growing stuff
    Ratings:
    +401
    Wonder if anyone can give me some advice. The first one is simple I think...I chopped the rasps down to the ground around March time so I now have six foot of new growth and no fruit I take it that's because I cut all the canes back rather than for any other reason.

I'm growing rasps next to a wall on the edge of my veggie plot which is just hopeless as when it comes to harvesting you need to be a contortionist to pick half the berries plus they were growing so big I was losing veggie space hence the need for the chop above. I need to bite the bullet and move them elsewhere. Is this even possible and if it is how best to go about it. I'm thinking a long thin bed with only rasps accessible either side OR a circle bed (I have circle beds already for blackcurrents and another for blueberries).

Thanks

• Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,571
      @jennywren
      Yes, Raspberries fruit on wood formed the previous season. So you removed this summers crop.
      I would move them in autumn, dig in lots of organic matter and water well, tie in the 6ft canes to the support wires. You may also want to think about putting a leaky hose in the bed for irrigation during dry spells. I would put them in a line. In a circle you will have problems with picking the fruit on the inside.

• Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • jennywren

jennywren Gardener

growing stuff
          Ratings:
          +401
          Thanks for the info looks like I've got another long thin bed to dig out - RHS info spot on.

• Friendly Friendly x 1