1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving raspberry plant in July?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ant1977, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ant1977

ant1977 Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    i am in the process of purchasing some of my neighbours garden, however, where I will need to move a couple of fence panels is a big raspberry bush, planted about 4 yrs ago.

If I dig it out and replant it in a new position in the new garden will it just die? Would be a shame as the kids gathered about 20 fresh raspberries today!

• Like Like x 2
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,613
      If you dig it out, dig as wide and as deep as you can to take as big a rootball as you can, and then water regularly until it gets itself settled - no guarantees though, as it really isn't the right time to move it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Consider planting in a big pot and placing somewhere shady plus keep moist until it recovers. I've found that reducing height of the canes has always helped them re-establish.

• Like Like x 3
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          No fruit likely this year though ant :)
          Try it but look for "runners" and pot them up. I would use a john innes compost though. Plant out in September or October.
          For me, replanting a large raspberry bush is not the way to go in the long term. If you do replant and you get the rootball up intact watering well and regularly is necessary if you want to try to have fruit this year

• Like Like x 2
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Is it a summer or autumn fruiting raspberry?
            If you follow the advice above, my personal advice would be to reiterate: water, WATER, WATER!!!!
            Moving *any* plant will cause stress to some degree or other; doing so at this time of year, when in full growth spurt will only mean it will be under a *lot* of stress.
            Some thoughts: if you reduce the size of the top growth (as per @Scrungee suggestion), try popping some of those *cuttings* into a pot of soil - they may or may not "take" but you have nothing to lose by trying ;)

Good luck with your planned purchase and :fingers crossed: it all goes smoothly.
            Just remember: the very *worst* thing that can happen is ... you lose a raspberry bush; on the plus side, you gain precious land to plant more raspberry bushes *into* ... they are really not an expensive plant ;);)

• Like Like x 1