Moving Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Rouxbee, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Rouxbee

Rouxbee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all

I'm looking for a bit of advice in moving my inlaws rose garden, she's decided she wants it to the back of the house, there's about 20 bushes, my question is that given some of these roses are over 40 years old whats the best way to do it? I know because of their age some of the roots will be hard to get up, should i be putting something into the holes in their new position? should i prune them right back just now??I don't think they've been pruned for years, lots of dead wood ect on them, also when is the best time to move them? Thanks :)

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Rouxbee I have only done this on one occasion ,which was successful:cool::D Right here we go ,Keeping the Roots Wet is for me Imperative because when you move a Rose you may damage the Feeder roots,which take up the water so you have to do this for them for about 5 to 6 weeks.By that time a lot of them will have grown back,when I move an Old or Mature Rose I usually cut all the Leaves off which will make the Rose go into its dormant state and then it wo,nt be Stressed out by the Move.I don,t think it is wise to cut back old Roses to much as they can die from shock,so Its only my oppinion I cut back by half:)
    Ok i then cut out all dead canes that are pencil or less thick right back to the Base,so that some new Canes will come up ,Please make sure that you stake these Roses ,if there is a strong wind it will rock the roots and this will cause them to die,Please do,nt take any notice of what the Roses look like,Just in case I usually put about 6-12 inches of Mulch round the Base of the Roses(Woodchip ,Ect)or ,Its a long job They wo,nt look good untill next Spring Perhaps even until the Summer so please be Patient(oh give them a feed in the Spring,There is a bit of Risk doing this but I find the Answer is Plenty of Patience andWater,Water ,Water always keep the Roots wet Please for the first 5-6 weeks,hope this Helps :thumb::)

3. Rouxbee

Rouxbee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much Woo for giving me such a detailed answer, i'm going to print this off to give to my mother-in-law so i can make sure she keeps them wet for that initial period, fingers crossed the move goes well for them (hoping to start this weekend with the pruning ect) and hopefully i'll be posting pics of healthy, blooming roses next year :thumb::)

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Rouxbee You are most welcome :thumb::)