Moving Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Domestos Godess, May 5, 2008.

1. Domestos Godess

Domestos Godess Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    DH has planted a pear tree next to my Blue Moon rose.

It did nothing last year and I was wondering if I could move it?
    or should I leave it it autumn before moving it?

many thanks

DG

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Dg Your Okay to move it keep as much soil round the roots as you can water it in well and make sure it is planted firmly ,so that the you don't get wind rock if I were you I would spray It round the base when planted to prevent Black spot which Blue moon can sometimes be Prone to .Hope this is of some help to you.

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm glad you asked this question DG - I too have a rose that I really should move because it is in a poor location. I don't know what variety it is - it was planted by the previous owner - so has been there at least 9 years or more. I'll take WOOs advice and try and get mine to a better position. It has never been pruned or anything, and is consequently very long and lanky - and has been growing tall in the quest for more light, so I'll be looking for advice later on in the year when it is flowering and I can possibly suss out the variety and prune it hard for the first time.

4. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I don't think I'd move roses at this time of year because they are just starting into strong growth, although I could be wrong. I move mine in the depths of winter (Dec/Jan) when they are dormant. I've never lost one yet as I reckon they are as tough as old boots and, believe me, I have moved quite a few around this garden. All are doing brilliantly.

5. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just don't do what OH did last saurday, dug up a 6 year old rose 'to relocate it as a surprise' and chopped off most of the roots - it's sitting resited and dying - :confused:

6. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Suggest relocate OH, .................. to local cemetary ;)

7. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi AG Leave it in there give it plenty of water and forget about it ,don,t ever give up on a Rose ,it deserves every chance.

8. SpringsHere

SpringsHere Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I had a small bush of Rhapsody in Blue - planted at bottom of Garden under slight canopy of trees. The 2nd year it showed just how unhappy it was - I think had I left it there it would have died. I lifted it last Autumn and re-planted in a plastic (!) Tub (quite a large one) and it's currently beside my backdoor - it's gone STARK STARING MAD!!! It's stuffed with buds and looking VERY happy indeed! Maybe you could wait until Autumn to lift?

Springy

9. jessb12221

jessb12221 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I moved one rose bush last year because of a poor location and unfortunately it didn't survived. I really don't know what I did wrong - paid attention to everything mentioned in my gardening book :-(
    Hope you are luckier than me!

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    You probably either didnt water suficently after transplanting or damadged the roots lifting, I always use a old style fork with 15" tines, keeps root distubance minimal. I often wonder how folk must manadge with the modern short tine style forks.