Moving Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Beachlover, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few rose bushes mainly HT & a couple of floribunda which are situated in a shady spot & not doing too well and wanted to move them to a sunny place in the garden. I'm not sure how old the roses are as only moved here last year but they look quite established. Is this a good time for them to be moved? any advice on how would be appreaciated.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Beachlover:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always bearing in mind that the best Time to move a Rose Is when It is Dormant I cannot stress this to strongly ,But having said that I have moved roses at all times of the year and have,nt lost any yet:)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drive your spade down vertically to its full length of blade about twelve or fifteen inches from the bush and repeating the process in a circular form until all lateral roots have been cut. Dig a sloping hole leading to the vertical spade-cuts on one side, remove some of the surface soil round the bush to reduce weight, drive the spade under the plant, and gently lift it in a ball of earth. The ball can be made more adherent by wetting and dabbing the outside of it.
    The bush must be pruned and all leaves carefully clipped off to reduce loss of moisture and consequent shrivelling. Hope this of some help to you:)

3. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd say November is the best month.. so any time now!

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Glad Wiseoldowl was at the helm here. Please use her recommendations. I am a shade gardener, have very, very little areas where "sun" is, of those areas I am so careful to consider a rose " anything" because I truly don't ever want to move it and want it to be happy. So far I've been successful with two rose bushes who give me a few blooms and two climbers still babies but are growing wonderful at this point. Both roses I researched to find that they can handle some shade. Not that they need total sun, which I did not have. What I am trying to say, is with good research you can find the plant needed for any area so you don't have to move it. Good luck.

5. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info wiseoldowl I will wait for a while before I move perhaps end Nov or begining Dec. Do I need to put any rose fertiliser or will some compost be OK in the new hole when I plant?

6. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mix a bit of bone meal in with the soil that you fill the hole with, bone meal stimulates root growth, and will help to get it going nicely. Don't use rose fertilizer next spring, as you don't want to push them too fast, but if they are looking healthy next summer, back on with your usual feeding regime.

Mixing in compost with the soil would be good, if you have some, as would a mulch. over the top.