Mower Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by by_the_park, Apr 28, 2009.

1. by_the_park

by_the_park Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a petrol rotary mower for <£400?

Its to take on this:

[url]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff259/warnysouth/7.jpg[/url][\IMG]

I don't always mow regularly, so it needs to be able to cope with long and wet grass, and also it needs a big grass box and easy height adjustment.

After consulting 'which' I'm planning on buying a Hayter Spirit 41 with roller (<£250 online). Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks!

S.:D

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I sudgest a second hand Etesia pro 46, often a few on ebay around £300 ish. Failling this a honda. Hayters dont cut wet grass particularly well.

The etesia will cut any length of grass no matter how wet, and even bought second hand will almost certainly give 20 years in domestic use.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I know you are fond of that make / model, and have many hours professional use experience to back it up, but that doesn't have a roller does it Pro?

As I'm sure you remember I think a roller is good for the Amateur Gardener because it stop the problem of dropping a wheel over the edge of the border and then scalping the edge!

4. by_the_park

Ratings:
    +0
    Also the new model comes with a 3 year warranty. Are rollers hard to use on rough ground?

5. by_the_park

Ratings:
    +0
    Also are there any real disadvantages to a self propelled version (adjustable speed)?

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    you are right about not always mowing regularly - its a bit long.

It doesn't look as if you need a roller but a tough mower. I would have thought that the hayter wasn't the one.

I would go for a Honda Izy, this one doesn't have powerdrive but thats upto to you - your bit of grass looks flat