Mowing Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by hannahm2010, Nov 18, 2010.

1. hannahm2010

hannahm2010 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am new to caring for lawns and wondered when we should give our lawns a last cut? We cut it back in October when it was still growing fairly fast and the weather was mild, now it looks long again although growth has slown down but looks like it needs a cut. But its now turned frosty and wet and I dount we will have a period long enough to let it dry out before mowing. Is it ok to leave it longish over winter? (I am in the UK)

Thank you!

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    My view? If it's growing, cut it.
    I manage my lawn as our Greenkeeper does our golf course. They were still cutting fairways and greens through most of last winter. If I could only get my lawn as good as he can the fairways, let alone the greens and all he does with the fairways is cut them and apply a bit of weedkiller occasionally.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "If it's growing, cut it."

I share your view :)

"all he does with the fairways is cut them and apply a bit of weedkiller occasionally"

Is that what he tells you? :hehe: numerous applications of fertilizer I expect, unless they use some poncy, and expensive, slow release concoction. Not to mention the Fusarium wilt sprays ...

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    If it looks long and ragged then cut it but set the blades higher than usual.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I also keep cutting mine throughout the winter - as long as the grass keeps growing. As mentioned, set your blades higher during the winter and if the grass isn't growing much at all then you won't take much off :D.

One thing to be wary of, don't walk on the grass when it is frosty. It will damage the grass :(.

The last few years I don't think that I have had a gap of more than six weeks between mowings. The only time it seems to slow down nowadays is during snow, or heavy frosts, in Dec/Jan.

6. James W

James W Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed your entry regarding mowing the grass during the winter and thought it may be worthwhile pointing you towards a brief article I have just written about lawn maintenance throughout the gardening year. It may be of some interest to you and simply outlines the basics of caring for your lawn during the growing season. It looks as though the advice you have received from other posts is mostly accurate so you have been well informed so far...