Mowing the Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by elliegreenwellie, May 2, 2008.

1. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, can you settle this one for me.

My husband insists it has to have been dry for at least 48 hours and ideally longer before curtting the grass. the problem being with these April showers it is never getting cut!

It is nice and dry and sunny here today - though with the prospect of showers later - now we had some rain yesterday - I am of a mind to cut the grass at teatime as it feels quite dry but I know my husband will say no - meaning it probaby won't get cut for a another week!

What is the general consensus of opinion?

By the way my lawn is not the best at the moment - there are some very lush green areas and some rather sorry patches the dog has been playing on!

Thanks in advance for your replies - I so hate the lawn looking a mess - it spoils the whole garden!

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Im a contractor and work to a tight schedule, therfore I will cut grass and strim grass in all weather conditions bar frost or snow, with our weather I often cut grass in torrential rain.

The dampness of the grass makes no odds to the equipment I use, gortex keeps me dry and warm.

Fair enough if your using an electric mower then youll want the lawn dry but no need for 48 hours!

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't wait for 2 days dry weather either - my grass'd be knee high if I did! I use a flymo at present, so do wait til the blades are dry - but that could be a few hours after a shower.

What is your husband's thinking on waiting 48 hours?

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    The longer the grass, the harder it is to cut and the more damage you're likely to do to the sward. Short grass dries more quickly as there's less volume to hold the water droplets. Grass that's mown little and often is the strongest. Letting the grass grow longer encourages weed growth ... is that enough reasons to persuade OH to get off his backside and cut the grass?

5. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I cut the grass any chance I get.
    If you waited for 48 hour of dry weather at the moment it would never get done.
    I am hopeing to have a go later today.
    The flymo will have to do it until the weather gets a bt drier.

6. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason that I try to wait until the grass has dried is that it clogs the mower if it is wet and I spend all my time clearing it.

7. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I prefer to cut my grass when its dry,but as everybody says, you dont always get a choice.

8. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When I see contractors cutting the grass in the rain I always think 'they'll be damaging that grass'.................only because that is what my parents told me:o

9. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I know what you mean fmay, all the books I read always tell you not to cut the grass while it's wet.

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    How does it damadge the grass, only damadge that can be caused is if you turn the machine too quickly but anyone with comon sense takes more care in the wet.

11. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Ellie Just inform Hubby that If he sweeps the Grass first he can cut when its wet (only joking) :D As far as I am concerned its okay to cut grass when its wet.

12. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

It's just what I was always told:D
    It's a shame that grass needs cutting so often, the number of times I've wished that it was one of those jobs that had to be done once at the beginning of the season and then stayed as you wanted it so that you could get on with other things!

13. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    wow thanks everyone for all your replies - have just read them all to hubby - he is not best pleased :)

But he'll have to think of another excuse in future! :) x

14. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    a good sharp well looked after mowwer can cut the grass in both wet and dry conditions. a blunt mower will just mush the grass if wet.

i found a hovver mower in a skip the other day , i asked if i could have it . the house owner said yes but it's crap.
    i got the thing home and sorted out a few probs made it safe basicaly . (wire had been run over and cut).
    i tryed it out and it just flattened the grass it cut abit but not alot
    on further examination i found out the rotor blade was fitted back to front , so i fitted the blade correctly . blooming heck if got a free mowwer that works like new .... whhahhoooooo.
    :thumb::)

15. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Well done the master, stops it going in land fill as well x