mozzies and cleaning pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by bi9johnny, Mar 14, 2011.

1. bi9johnny

bi9johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    moved to a new house last year and we now have a pond which attracts far too many mozzies......will the mozzies go if i clean the pond out and put in a water feature to keep the water moving:what:

2. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Doubtful.
    Mosquitoes want a body of water to lay eggs in, it can be as small as a puddle, why not add fish and they can have a free lunch

3. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I've got fish in my pond and still get a garden full of them.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,844
    The addition of fish into your water feature will definitely help to keep down the number of mosquito larvae, but the pond is not the only breeding ground for them! Any damp areas, piles of leaves etc will provide place for the different kinds of gnats and mosquito's to lay eggs and multiply so you're fighting nature - and you know who'll win!! All part of life's rich tapestry:heehee:

5. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,242
    We have a similar problem here (near a park with numerous large lakes, so the mozzies move in within minutes, it seems!). I was advised that keeping the water moving is the best single method. You don't have to have a sprinkly fountain, if you're not into that sort of thing. Just a gently bubble of water moving above the surface will do the trick. If you've ever watched mozzie lavae dive down from the water surface when you start a ripple, you'll know what I mean!