Mozzie's - HELP !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by oktarine, Apr 21, 2007.

1. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

For the last couple of years I have been plagued with Mozzie bites, and am at a loss to stop the problem.
    I have scars on my legs/arms/back from mozzie bites, and so far this month have had 5 bad bites.

I have tried all insect repellants available to no avail. i.e. I spray my arms and legs and they bite my back! I've even written to the manufacturers seeking help.

I've been told that "medically" my problem is that my blood is A-, which mozzies love. I was surprised a bit by that, but different doctors have told me the same.

My last defence is taking Garlic tablets daily but this does not really help either.

What do you do to stop the bites? Is there any plants I could grow that might keep them away? I often burn citronella candles around my veg plot when Im out there, that dont help either.

Six of my neighbouring properties have ponds which I guess doesn't help, but I cant change that either.

Can anyone help ? Pleeeeeeease !

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Good morning, oktarine.

The best defence to avoid getting mossie bites in the first place is to take an antihistamine tablet every morning during mossie season.

I'm in "mossie land" and it works for me.

I live in the middle of orange orchards and "they" say you don't get them because of all the citrus around ... but that is not true.

Try the antihistamines ... and good luck!

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    LoL, thanks from me for that advice, I also suffer from bites in summer and end up covered in unsightly scabs, the bites don't heal as quickly now I'm older.
    My blood group is B but the biters don't care! i've found anti-histamine cream stops the itching a bit, so maybe tablets will work even better! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks LOL, I'll give that a go.

5. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Eucalyptus Gunni is supposed to keep the mossies away. If you cut it back very hard, the new growth is very pungent. Don't know if it actually works though

6. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I too get bitten I hate it also hate nettles as the stings last for days. I was wondering this year about sewing strings around a sunhat and putting small bunches of some acrid bruised herb like rue or tansy - tansy is supposed to deter flies. I hate being stung on my eyelids and ears.

7. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I use lavender or mint and rub it on exposed flesh.Years ago as a kid when I was digging spuds on our allotment I used wild garlic...I thought it was a good idea at the time [​IMG]

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    I agree with all these herbal remedies "once you've been bitten". My suggestion is to take something so if you are bitten you don't react badly and have to then use all these other remedies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Oktaraine

Apparantly Avon's Skin-so-soft works wonders!!! I know its a bit obscure, but the lads in the Navy stock up big time on the stuff when they go up to Rosyth. The other one is Marmite!!!! A freind of mine's husband is up there at the moment, and the mozzies are legendary up there...

found this too...

mozzie stuff

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Skin so Soft gets mixed reviews! We've heard lots of claims for it, but it didn't work for Mr D when he was out and about amongst them last time - only thing that works is a net - horrible things!

I wouldn't want to take medication, though, not unless it was really dire.

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    My MBH takes Brewers Yeast supplements. I believe it's supposed to work by changing the body scent. It definitely works. She never gets bitten now. It's so effective that I take it when we go to the Med. Those little so and so's really can bite. It takes about 6 weeks to start working so it's probably best to take it all the time.
    You have to take 6 tablets a day but it's really cheap. All the best

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Gosh, I remember Skin so Soft from donkey's years ago, lovely stuff! Smells nice! They have Avon folk here now. [​IMG]

Now Honey Bee, I like Marmite but not smeared all over me! :eek:

Dendro, it can be dire and is necessary to stop it happening.

Cajary, maybe Brewers' Yeast is the alternative to anti-histamines ...

... but I still say, stop it before it happens! [​IMG]

13. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I mix some citronella oil, tea tree oil and moisturiser together, then rub in all exposed parts, which on me is only face, neck and arms. I put it on every day when the mozzies are about and it keeps them at bay. No bites, No scratching and no scars. a lot cheaper than some of the purpose made cr@p that i react to. I also use dock or plaintain leaves(really works on me)for nettle stings when I do feel them. (but having hands like rhino skin i feel few stings, thorns or splinters.) The only thing I suffer from is red ant bites.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    Some research done at one of the universities found that if you eat Marmite the mozzies don't like it because they can smell it on you. This may be related to cajary's comment about Brewers Yeast.

They also found that if you are susceptible to mozzie bites then you shouldn't eat bananas.

Apparently this all came about from research into malaria.

I rarely get bitten whilst in the tropics but have no evidence for either statement. I do not eat bananas whilst there and I don't eat Marmite because I can't stand it. :confused: [​IMG]

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    S*h*i*t about the banana theory because I eat lots of them. Good potasium!

I know lots about malaria and the tropics having had to deal with it in a work environment and now living with it .. not malaria but mossie problems.

I still go back to ... prevent it ...