1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mulching with haylage??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CraigET, Feb 19, 2018.

1. CraigET

CraigET Gardener

Self employed gardener
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi all,

I’ve searched the site for posts and forums on mulching but can’t find anything?

I love a freshly mulched garden like anyone else but my usual form is from well heated wood chip, gravel or compost.

I have access to some old haylage bails (former horse food which by the owners are now considered cannon fodder) as the bags split and inside has started to decompose (no problem there)

My query is one from an aesthetic point of view... veg patches with straw/haylage I don’t have an issue with but has or does anyone use hay/haylage or silage for their gardens? I came across a couple in West Sussex who bought bags of ‘strulch’ which I assume is pretty much the same? All it can do is tot down and add nutrients I guess but does it look any good? Also, although it would compress weeds, would it the start sprouting unwanted grass when it breaks down?

Thanks for looking. Any photos of straw mulch in ornamental gardens for piece of mind would be appreciated.

One more point of concern, if it were horse manure it should be well rotted, is this the case with hay?

Thanks again. Craig

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I've used hay and straw as mulch as well as grass cuttings. It can work very well at suppressing weed growth and keeping moisture in during the growing season. With hay mulch you never know how much grass seed is in it though. Most hay is made after the grass has seeded so you could be adding grass seed to your beds. As to how it looks.....well.....it looks pretty good to start with but not so good once it's weathered. Think strawberry fields if you've ever been to pick your own places. But it will, like any mulch, improve the soil over time as the worms work it in. Personally, I think the trade off is worth it as in the long term the soil is improved.

3. CraigET

CraigET Gardener

Self employed gardener
    Ratings:
    +132
    That’s a great shout #Redwing!! I used to love strawberry picking and yes, I have just had a flash back to mid summer strawberry picking.
    I’m having to battle with Petasites fragrans so what’s a bit of grass if it’s got seed in!! I figure if I mulch with haylage and then plant my annuals and perennials maybe they’ll provide enough shade to kill off any germinated seeds from hay. if not then the Dutch hoe will have to be sharpened again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Carl Dawson Garden and Equestrian | eBay Shops
      stores.ebay.co.uk › eBay Shops

I bought a large pallet of ''PEAT PLUS'' from this dealer in the autumn, and have found it to be very good. I think it has some rotted farmyard manure in it - it smells like it - but the smell didn`t last long, and it has certainly kept the weeds down.

Always used spent mushroom compost previously. Don`t think the straw would look too pretty.

• Like Like x 1
      • CraigET

CraigET Gardener

Self employed gardener
        Ratings:
        +132
        Thanks Tetters.

I have a client who’s best friend is a dairy farmer and he drops off loads of cow manure (shed bedding) to them, they like it spread on their garden and I must admit it looks how it smells after!! Don’t get me wrong it’s well rotten but the smell of cow urine and what not plus the amount of critters i find in it that I have never seen before does make me wonder.

Like I said ‘Strulch’ is the closest I’ve seen and then that was inhabited by vine weevil. Maybe I should stop being such a tight ass and leave well alone. It could be a time costly mistake. And eye shudderingly nasty perhaps. Maybe I’ll use it up the allotment.

• Like Like x 1
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          Didn`t get all the mulching done before winter, and have started using the peat plus again now - it`s all nicely bagged up. As I slit the first few bags I noticed straight away that the smell had improved big time - it`s looking good - especially if you are gardening for customers.
          Let`s not talk about vine weevil right now.....:gaah:.....:doh:

• CraigET

CraigET Gardener

Self employed gardener
          Ratings:
          +132
          hahahahahaha!!!!! Right!!! New idea....I have a large area which will be turned into a veg patch with poly tunnel and raised beds. I’ll get the builders to mix said hay with MOT and then cover the whole lot in thick anti permeable membrane and the gravel over the top of that!! :love30::wallbanging: Job done. :beer:

• Like Like x 1
          • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
            Ratings:
            +5,404
            Well, I can see where the genius is evolving from :Wino: cheers :yahoo:

• Funny Funny x 3
            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,859
              As Redwing says grass seed and you may get some weed seed depending on how clean the field was when haylage was baled, also you may want to think about that the haylage may be a bit acidic due to partial fermentation

As some bales may be sprayed with acid to help fermentation when baled
              but farmer should be able to tell you if it has acid aplyed or not,

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
              • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                Would the hay/straw encourage slugs?