1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-purpose compost as soil conditioner?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by blacktulip, Aug 17, 2016.

1. blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
    +228
    I am filling a few raised beds in my back garden. Basically I dig up the soil around and put it into the beds. But the soil is clay-ish and is not quite enough to fill up the beds. Can I use the multi-purpose compost from shops as a soil conditioner (as well as space-filler of course)? I know home-made compost is good soil conditioner but these multi-purpose compost from shops are mostly peat. Will it do the job that home-made compost can do?

Thank you very much

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    Cant do any harm. If possible I would add a bag or two of sharp sand in there and if you can get your hands on some leaves or pine needles in the autumn chuck some of that in too.Couple handfulls of chick poo wouldnt hurt either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,560
      I agree with Wee Tam it can't do any harm but being compost it will eventually rot down.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
        +228
        Thanks. Can I put all the weeds I pulled out in the bottom of the bed? I fear they will regrow although they are already dried under the sun

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        Drying in the sun will not kill all the seeds that may have formed and they could well be still viable. However if you bury them deep enough they may not be a problem.
        I try to avoid putting seeded or seeding weeds onto my compost heap or into our worm bins as there's always a few seeds that survive composting.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          All my used general purpose compost, BT, goes on the borders at the end of the season and there's no doubt that it helps but, of course, it's an on-going thing in that the borders will benefit for the occasional adding.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Maybe try and get some horse manure. Most people who have horses are more than happy to give the stuff away. You may have to go and get it yourself in bags tho. If you aren't planning on planting up the raised beds straight away and only start to use them next season then you could put the manure straight on them and by next Spring the manure should be rotted down enough, otherwise you may have to store it if you have room. The manure will break down so you would want to pile on loads so that the level is well above what you would want the level to be eventually. Manure has the advantage of being likely to be free and is a great soil conditioner for either very clay or silty soil. It also contains relatively low levels of fertilizer which just about all plants benefit from.
            If the above doesn't seem suitable for you then yes you can use multi purpose as others have said altho personally I'd use Peat as the fertilizer in the multipurpose will be short lived so you are just as good with Peat. Often at the end of the season many garden centres/supermarkets etc sell off their composts to make room for Christmas stuff. You can often pick up bags for about 1/4 of the original price. It's amazing how bags of MPC don't go far when spread on beds and you may need quite a few depending on the sizes you are making.

• Like Like x 2
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Silu is right, horse manure is good stuff!!.........but there is one drawback as I discovered and that is the Horses are usually grazing in a field eating grass and weeds. Which means that you'll have lots of grass and weed seeds in the manure!!!! So you'll be doing some more weeding than usual:heehee: I'm lucky enough to have around 8 stables near me so in the early years of gardening I used plenty of manure to get the soil into good heart. But now I use, as I said, the compost from my tomato buckets and any I've used for sowing or renewing the compost in pots.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,361
                I use a lot of horse manure from local farms and stables - all free as long as you collect.

You may find that your local council dump sells bags of soil conditioner. It's usually cheaper than compost and is good for conditioning clay soil. Their soil conditioner is from the green waste that that they collect and is usually stored in big enough heaps for the heaps to reach a high temperature. This breaks everything down well, and very quickly, and is usually much better than most garden compost heaps. They then bag it and sell it.

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1