Multi purpose feeds with killers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Loofah, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,857
    Was just wondering about those multi-purpose 'weed and feed' type fertilisers. If you have naturalised bulbs (crocus, snowdrops etc) will the 'weed' bit kill them off if applied while they're still in leaf?

I want to get the feed out but might just delay until they die back

2. Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +166
    Yes, they will probably kill them. Or at least, won't do them any good at all.

Bulbs in a lawn are a tricky one, and they generally don't mix. This is because you need to let bulbs stay in leaf for a good long time after flowering to build up their food supplies for next year. This means not mowing the lawn until June / July, which is not ideal for most people. So you should either leave it alone and not mow it (i.e. a dedicated bulb area) or just have a lawn with no bulbs.

If you must feed the lawn with the bulbs in, just use a lawn fertiliser without weed killer in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +23,857
      That's what I was thinking! Ta.

I'm not sure what's in the shed at the moment so if its got a weed killer in it I'll use another one.