Musa bajoo, slow to start

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by al n, May 1, 2013.

1. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    A very good, bright sunny morning to all! :dancy:

As always, I do a rekky of the garden morn and night and checked on my musa bajoo's.

Out of 7 I have only one on the move. All of them were not protected so allowed to die back and only one has any signs of movement, not via the original plant, but by a pup!

When will I expect the others to show some movement either by pups or the original plant?

It's only just warmed up here into double figures the last few days, so am I expecting too much until the weather warms?

As always, very big thanks in advance for replies.

Al the optimist x

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Mine haven't started at all yet. I didn't protect mine either, could have been a mistake even though we never got below -10 like the previous year (when I did protect them), I wonder if it's because we have such a prolonged cold spell.

3. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Could be John. I've never grown them before, but I have very free draining soil and I've checked the roots/corms and they're solid as a rock.

I planted 2 ensette yesterday ( did have 5, but only 2 survived overwinter in the garage) and I'm hoping they'll kick start soon.

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    they should be sprouting in the next 3/4 weeks its just to cold especially with the night temperature dropping, I have had frost past two mornings .

Spruce

5. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    lost many plants because of that .

Al , I was thinking of you on the last thread about the bananas , as my basjoo are awake and running , done the same thing as you for the past 3/4 years , spent lots of money in bananas and realise that they need to be big before leave them outside ....

overall it could be that you had some surviver ....finger cross

6. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Thanks sal and John.

It's very dewy here at night, but no frosts here for a while now. Day time temps at the border where the musa are a lot higher than the rest of the garden, full sun, no wind etc...

Even my gunnera has been slow to get going although the rheum is massive already.

Things are definately behind here in the growing stakes for most of my plants. I have a few of the same plants dotted around different parts of the garden ( cardoon for example) and the ones that are getting full sun from morn to early eve in the big border are doing a lot better.

I'll just have to be patient I guess!

The crocosmia, tigridia, lilies, iris and dahlias I've planted in small pots are beginning to sprout now so that's a bonus. No sign of the cannas nor callas as yet though.

I did buy some lovely bedding for instant colour so at least it's not all mono green. Hey ho, hope we keep getting the good weather!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,981
      I think soil temperatures are still much lower than normal at this time of the year.
      I'm only just beginning to see annual weed seeds germinating, its very late for that.

My outdoor Basjoos rarely did much until April even during the mild winters.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      this is the joy of overwintering them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
      • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
        Ratings: