Mushrooms in my new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by helenkab, Jul 23, 2009.

1. helenkab

helenkab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recenty had a new lawn laid (topsoil and turf). For the 1st 2-3 weeks I watered it everyday and was very pleased with the result.

However, over the last couple of weeks I have had mushrooms growing all over it!! When I spoke to the company that did the job they said that this was down to the hot weather along with the watering of the grass and that I should continue to mow the grass as normal and they wil eventually disappear.

Im certain its not a problem with the topsoil as there is nothing growing in the borders.

Have I been informed correctly and if not, what can I do to eradicate this problem? Any help/suggestions will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Helen

i

2. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Don't wory about it, the heat genrated in the grass and the humidity caused by the watering is causing the fungal growth (not mushrooms). These will die down naturaly and are nothing to get upset about.:):)

3. Pippa

Pippa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helen,I am no expert but there are many different types of mushrooms.We had little white edible ones that came through our lawn when we first moved in back home over 20 years ago and they just disappeared but there were also brown ones that came through under our trees too.

I mentioned it on a site and was asked to take close pics of it upside down and the top which i did and placed the photograph on.I got an excellent id regarding the one that concerned me most and great information too.We never got rid of it though (brown).

Fingers crossed, you get help from someone here and welcome.:)

Oops cross posted sorry .

4. helenkab

helenkab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Pippa and Gingernutsman!!!

Gingernutsman - your reply matches that of the company that i employed so am feeling a little bit happier about it. (Looks bloody awful though!!):gnthb:

Pippa - I have beige ones and black ones but these look like they could be dying. Il be taking pics of them if they dont die down naturally as Gingernutsman thinks they will.:thumb:

Thanks for your help!!

5. Pippa

Pippa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pleased all is well Helen :gnthb: