mushrooms on my lawn!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by ellenw, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ellenw

ellenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all
    Not sure if this is where I should post my question but here goes just incase...

I have loads of mushrooms coming up on my lawn!
    Now I know its been raining a lot and I expect that damp and warm environment make them grow but should I be worried?

I have an 18month old who loves raw mushrooms and I am concerned that she'll pick one up and eat it... How can I tell if they are poisonous?

Is there anyway of stoping them from coming up? I suppose the spores live in the soil. Is there a weed killer we can use?

We only laid our lawn in May, before that we had a gravel garden and no mushrooms.
    Thx for any answers!

2. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's fairly common in newly laid turf - I had it last year after laying mine - I have them again this year in these humid conditions. They won't do any harm to your lawn and can be mowed out and will go away on their own - You cannot get fungicides for lawns unfortunately. I am afraid I have no idea whether they are safe or not for your little one and would er on the side of caution!

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Best bet is at this time of the year, they're not edible. Do what ellie says, mow them out!

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Dont wait till you mow, brush them up as soon as you see them.

They could be one of a great many fungi, most would at worst just give you an upset stomach but err on the safe side.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have dirty great big whoppers all round the garden-do as progard says and scoop them up as soon as you see them, most would only make you poorly, but best not to chance it with a little nipper.

6. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Get out there before your little one and pull them up. Best not to take risks.

7. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we all agree here have them out NOW!!!!

8. ellenw

ellenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thx all!
    I mowed them all up after posting the msg. Just got back from hols and there are more back already. Im going out there 2moro morning to pick all the little ******s up.
    Now do I compost them or bin them? They would probably thrive in the compost bin right? So best to bin them!
    Think I have just answered my own question there...
    thx again!

9. wazzza126

wazzza126 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you use turf or seed to establish your lawn? If turf then the fungi have been transplanted from the farmers field unlucky you, i had the same problem. Unforunately there is only one remedy and that is to remove mushroom, then remove patch of turf around the mushroom dig out 1ft of soil and discard the whole lot, replace with new soil and seed. Turf growers get alot of fairy rings on their fields and when they cut the turf they just seperate the fungus like a jigsaw, roll it up and deliver.

No chemicals can kill fairy ring.

Better be safe in the meantime and pick out

10. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    I had some mushrooms in the lawn where there was a tree stump and roots remaining under the soil.
    I had removed the tree and left the stump to rot naturally.
    Apart from bacteria and woodlice e.t.c mushrooms are part of the decaying process so I left it to Mother Nature to deal with the remains of the stump. The mushrooms, some may consider unsightly, but I think they have a beauty all of their own and they did a great job of removing said stump.
    Once the fungi started to die back I removed it and have never seen a mushroom in the lawn since.