Musselburgh Leek true from seed?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by hailbopp, Apr 22, 2024.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +719
    You know that expression about learning something new every day.
    I have grown the Musselburgh variety of Leeks for some years now. They stand up pretty well to our less than gentle winters here in Scotland. I know the seed lasts for a good while, four years at least but did not know it evidently comes true from seed.
    For years I would remove seed heads of a few that have bolted but never attempted to let a bolted leek flower and saved the seed. Has anybody done this and found the seed viable? It’s not expensive seed to buy but if I can produce my own!

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yes the seed will come true.
    The same is true for most plants that are not F1 hybrids.
    It's only seed that has been specifically crossed with another variety that will not come true - these are called F1 Hybrids. Seed from these plants will have some characteristics of the parent plants, but will not be the same as the original.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,440
      Some times leek heads actually grow plant let's, sometimes a mixture of both seed and plantlets.

I suppose in theory if there was another variety in flower at the same time you could have your own dodgy hybrid but unlikely.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
        +155
        I let leeks flower just because the flowers are lovely, I see the seeds as a bonus. I've grown leeks from saved seed and it's been pretty good but as it's down the allotment I don't know if any mixing has occurred.

• hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
        +719
        Thanks, no doubt I will have a few bolters and give it a go as would need to buy more seed next year. Yes I realise about F1 @Pete8 but maybe others don’t so good to mention it. I “ cheat” with Sungold tomatoes and despite being F1 they do come true from seed ( look and taste the same but smell slightly different!) first year but not after that. I grow a great many toms and Sungold seed is quite expensive so this trick saves a bit. It was not me who discovered this but a long standing member of GC who does not seem to post any longer. He was a fund of mostly! useful information.

• Like Like x 2
        • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,594
          If you want to maintain the variety over time you'd need a minimum number of leeks flowering in a patch to do so. Quick Google suggests 20 for leeks, dont know if thats accurate.. It's a bit annoying if space is at a premium, but at least leeks look good when flowering.

I tried saving more seed last year from my favourite lettuce varieties, but I did so outside and because of the wet they rotted before I could get viable seed. They are one plant you only need one plant to continue the variety. Toms and chillis are others (assuming not f1 of course). And i also saved some from a single agretti plant that worked at least, good as the seed is only viable for a few months