Must Have This Plant Next Year..

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roders, Aug 6, 2006.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    Saw this fabulous grass to-day and I surely must have SOON.......Pennisetum Villosum.
    WOW... :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Well if you get it, save the seed. It does not survive the winter here.

3. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    [​IMG] Thanks for that Palustris....
    Plan B.........Still must have..

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have it down as an annual - have a few little plants, so may have some seed - but don't hold your breath, Roders!

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OOh that's lovely Roders, can see why you want some

6. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I have to admit that I'm no great admirer of grasses and have totally failed to 'get' the recent fashion for the 'prairie-look', in which they play a major role. That said, there are a few that I really do like and this is one of them. It's marvellous planted in swathes or simply allowed to develop into a large, bold clump. Well worth having.

Another, which I almost prefer is the purple fountain grass - Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'. This has rich burgundy leaves and longer spikes of fluffy pink flowers that slowly age to fawn. It makes quite a statement. Unfortunately, these Pennisetums are no lovers of humus rich, moist soils and 'Rubrum' in particular is moderately tender so it needs winter protection. Unfortunately, I don't grow either because although winter temperatures here are fine for them, it is much too damp and they tend to succumb to fungal diseases. They need drier, more airy conditions than I can provide.

A third grass that I can and do grow and would never be without is the tropical species - Setaria palmifolium. It relishes moisture and rich soils forming clumps of 1.5m. long, arching, apple-green leaves that are up to 6cms. broad and very heavily pleated along their length. In late summer/early autumn, tall spikes of feathery flowers rise to 2m. or more, but the leaves are the thing. You'd be forgiven for mistaking them for those of a seedling coconut or related palm. It fits in perfectly with a lush tropical-jungle effect ... probably because it is a native of moist woodland soils in tropical areas :rolleyes:

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I have just googled setaria as I am umfamiliar with it. I can see why it is called palm grass. [​IMG]