My Allotments Updates

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by PLOTTY, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PLOTTY

PLOTTY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, the excitement of harvesting your own produce is really rewarding and at the moment I have come accross numerous posts on the internet from people excited by there first harvests, it makes all the hard work weeding, preparing the soil and tendering your plants all worth while, I have added my latest update from my allotments for you to enjoy, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Steve now we have our very own allotment section here on GC I'm pretty sure more people will pop over onto your blog and see what you have been upto! Hel.xxx.

3. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Steve i hate you :p you are making me work harder and harder . but im enjoying the experience. ive only had mine since late march . im chucking everthing in watering every day (in the evening)watching the weather forcast for the temp next day (that tells me how mutch to water)if its gonna be a hot day like today yesterday i watered alott
    we are still prepping beds for plants to go in
    sun,shade, wind ,soil condition , water retention,

this is my first time on an allotment, i think im doing ok for my first year. infact i think im doing better than ok . and its all down to one book and gardeners courner .... i thank you all
    :D:D

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Steve brilliant update again.Love the size of your beetroot.I thought it was only mine that grew that big though I wish my sweetcorn was as healthy as yours looks:rolleyes::D

Glad to see that Daniel is taking his Marrow growing seriously and I hope he does well in September:) I have planted out my Butternut Squash plants and even though I have given them lots of water they are not moving very quickly,Hopefully with some heavy rain they will start to move.

We will have to try some of those blueberries as they reckon they are the new super food to eat.I can't imagine what they actually tase like

I like the idea of showing us how to break off the sde shooots and tendrils on the sweet peas,very informative.If you sell any of the seeds this year let me know when they are ready and I will buy a few packets off you.They will make good Christmas prezzies:thumb:

I have posted my nomination for you to be the next Gardeners World presenter,we can but live in hope.:thumb:

Keep up the good work and looking forward to next weeks update before I go on my holiday...

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Kandy, one of our butternut squash has now really got going and is over 3ft long but the others are still just sitting there doing very little - just like me at the moment:D

6. PLOTTY

PLOTTY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, despite the weather being dreadful of late as far as a Summer goes most of the crops are enjoying it and the soft fruit harvests are excellent, my last week has been spent picking them and preserving them as you can see in my latest update, regards Steve.

7. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks good Steve can't wait untill you exlpain the layering of the sweet peas as I grow a lot of them to keep the blackfly under control.

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Steve looking good with this weeks update:thumb:I love the idea with the coke cans especially leaving the ring pull on as well.I will have to tell my friend about the ring pull because she uses pop cans:)

Looks like you have been quiet busy harvesting all your fruit and it sounds really mouthwatering all the things you have made with them.I don't suppose you would have time to add instructions to your updates on how to make all those lovely sauces and sorbets etc.

The weather here has turned cold as well as us having rain all day today.Didn't realise about the near frost either:eek:

All your crops are really coming on well and it looks like Daniel will have a lovely specimen for the Allotment show in September.Please let us know how he gets on.:thumb:

The flowers are looking good as well,and I bet they make the plots look quiet colourful:)

I will have to look into the organic bug killer,though I don't have much of a problem with black fly on my Runner Beans:rolleyes:

I will ahve to catch up with your next update because me and Mr Kandy will be away when you post the next one.It will be something to catch up with when we get back.Keep up the good work:thumb::)

9. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Steve,
    Looking forward to your return to the plot.
    Hope you had a good chill out in Wales.

We just got our first allotment, and are buzzing with enthusiasm.

Catch you soon.

10. PLOTTY

PLOTTY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all after a longer than expected break due to ill health I'm pleased to be back in action and back to doing my updates, hope that you have all had a good harvest this season despite the weather, regards Steve.

11. PLOTTY

PLOTTY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, many thanks for the welcome back messages that you kindly sent, just to let you know that I have posted my latest update which I hope you enjoy, regards Steve.

12. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Steve,nice to see you back again and hope that you are well on the road to recovery.:thumb:

I have seen your latest update and the one from before and as usual the content is exeptional.:)

We had a heavy frost over at our allotment the week before last which we didn't have here so my Butternut Squash and Corgette plants have blackened leaves and some of the fruit have rotted on the squash plants.The biggest ones I have harvested but the smaller ones I have left although I can't see them getting any bigger now that the year is nearly over.Hopefully I will do better in my second year 2009.

I know what you mean about the runner beans because I sowed more after the rabbits and weather demolished the first ones and now have loads of pods ripening so will have loads of seeds for next year.

Did your toms do OK at the allotment?We lost all ours in the garden to blight so have had to throw the whole lot away,but have harvested loads of pears and apples which should keep us going until next Spring:)

Looking forward to the next update:thumb:

PS Forgot to say,love the Chucks but couldn't have them at our lottie as there would be no one to feed them come holiday time plus if we had them at home our cats would get them.Have you named them by the way?:)

13. PLOTTY

PLOTTY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just to let you know that I have posted the latest update from my alloments, despite the time of year there is still plenty to do in preparation for next season, hope you enjoy it regards Steve.

14. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good update again Steve.Love the chooks and I bet you are looking forward to all those lovely fresh eggs:thumb:

Speak again soon:)

15. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic looking allotment you have there Steve!

Love the raised beds, did you get the wood free??

I'd love to do that but i suspect it would out weigh the costs if i started buying things for my allotment!