My 'blank canvas'.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Stephen in Wroughton, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Stephen in Wroughton

Stephen in Wroughton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I have just subscribed to this board because it seems to be a friendly and helpful place.

About six months ago my wife, (so far a non-gardener), and I moved to our current house. The rear garden is a little over 80' long by about 50' wide. A great deal of this summer was spent hiring skips and V large concrete breaking tools, burning Wendy houses and knocking down sheds. I did cut a small flower bed and planted it and a few pots just to get something started.

The bottom 40' of the garden was turned in to level, bare soil and then seeded with grass. You might imagine that this summer was not the best time for sowing a lawn, (hosepipe ban).

So, I am excited but a little daunted by the thought of a making a completely new garden. Yesterday I planted the Silver Birch I have delayed for a few months. Perhaps that was still a little early but believe me - I couldn't wait any longer!

Please look out for many daft questions from me.

Stephen.

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    welcome stephen to gc its a great site, all members are super friendly people and you will get loads of advice.enjoy

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    Hello Stephen and welcome to GC! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice (perhaps daft even) for your "daft" questions!

Enjoy the site!

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome Stephen - what a joy to have a blank canvas to play with. And with autumn and winter on the way, perfect time for browsing pictures, and getting a feel for what you want your garden to look like and be for you.

Ask away - if the members don't know, they usually can find out. I ain't been disappointed yet

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome Stephen [​IMG] You'll find there's a few of us at various stages with our 'blank canvases', so you're not alone!!
    Great advice on here and a good laugh too [​IMG]

6. Sunshine P

Sunshine P Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Stephen welcome to gc as everyone says loads of advice on here and loads of laughs also,, welcome once again and enjoy [​IMG] :D

7. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello there Stephen and welcome, sounds a lot of work you have had to do to start with but a blank canvas gives you so much to play with. Good luck. [​IMG]

8. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and welcome Stephen. Lots of advice to be had on here from very knowledgable people (of which I am NOT one!!) Sounds like youre going to have fun with your new garden [​IMG]

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  10. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  11. Stephen in Wroughton

Stephen in Wroughton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for the greetings.

I managed today to plant a Worcester Pearmain without asking daft questions of the forum. One week, two trees. Wow!

I spoke to both trees this evening. Please don't tell anyone.

S.

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    stephen, wouldnt worry about talking to your trees there is me and some gc members we all talk to our plants, we wont tell a sole

13. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Stephen.Great variety of apple.We have one and get off some very large sweet apples.My second favourite after cox's orange pippin [​IMG]

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Stephen talk to them regularly - it will help them settle in and grow. As I recall this has been researched and demonstrated - not just on the Good Life :D

PS just noticed your location. I know Wroughton well, was based there at the then RAF Hospital - now a conference centre.