my cat using veggie patch as toilet!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by L plate gardener, May 3, 2011.

1. L plate gardener

L plate gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I would like to know how to stop my cat from digging and using my veggie patch and other flower beds as a toilet?? I have looked today at some cat repelant in the garden centre and decided it perhaps would stop my cat coming in the garden all together!! which i dont want as he does live here!! LOL

any tips please?? my flowers and veg are getting flattened and dug up by the day!! LOL

2. Poolcue

Poolcue Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Put one area aside for it's toilet, plant some catnip and sprinkle cat litter around, they love freshly raked soil - try to encourage it to use that area.

4. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,740
    Last Autumn, after I planted out some Wallflowers and Winter Pansies in a small bed close to the house, our two cats decided this was an excellent and convenient toilet facility!
    On this occasion I solved the problem by taking a few prunings from a nearby Firethorn (Pyracantha), cutting them up into small pieces and scattering them liberally between the plants. It worked a treat! :D
    I guess prunings from any other prickly plant such as Berberis, Holly or even Gorse would be equally effective too, make sure you cut them up into fairly small pieces though, or they will simply blow away on the first windy day.
    Also, as JWK says, they love freshly raked or dug soil, so try to keep soil disturbance to a minimum whenever possible.

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    My cat is no different from any other, thus I always leave a small area (roughly 2' square) of bare, nicely dug, soft, friable earth which she has as 'her garden'! I 'scoop' it regularly and we're both happy.

The one thing you can't stop them doing (unless you fence it off and put netting all around and over the top) is finding a nice, sunny spot to curl up in and have a doze, but that's just the price you pay for having a cat - I've learned not to be too precious about a few flat plants, or I physically screen them off until big enough to take care of themselves.