My Chillies Won't

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rhyleysgranny, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    ripen. They are staying stubbornly green. I have dozens of them. I need them red to make my chilli jam.. I have put bananas round the base of the pots. Any ideas folks?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Some of my chillies ripen really late in the season - I have some plants which produce very small chillies and they have only just started going red in the last few weeks (and were sown very early)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    They seem to ripen depending on variety and position, some of mine have ripened on the Twilight plant. I took a few Hungarian Hot Wax, Ring of Fire & Habernero plants into work and they have all started to ripen on the window sill there, but the exact same sown/planted/etc plants I kept at home in my greenhouse are refusing to turn colour :scratch:

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'd just use them while they're still green. They have more flavour that way, although perhaps less hot.

5. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah really it is not easy to grow them here in the UK, ideally they would need a temperature not lower then 20 Celsius, and at night it does drop well below that in an unheated greenhouse in the summer! so they grow and mature very slow!
    I grow only small varieties so the ready quicker!

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My Suttons "Hot Stuff" started cropping very early, produced large yellow fruit, and are hot. Recommended! Supposedly contains a mix of types but I only had the yellow ones.

7. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Don't get discouraged, granny. I am a rank newbie but find that chillis are about the only thing that I just cannot fail with. I decided not to grow any this year, as I still have over 5Kg from last season still in the freezer of varying shades. It really does seem to vary with variety, and the green ones are fine unless the colouring is necessary for some aesthetic purpose.
    I put mine in an unheated greenhouse (from window ledge) pretty much as soon as the last of the frost was over.
    Have you tried making green chilli jam?

8. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll just pick them and freeze them. The plants are looking very bedraggled and i am fed up looking at them.
    1eyedjack I will maybe try green chilli jam..............why not :)

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Is that the method for storage, freezing ? Only I have loads of lovely red hotness but not enough recipes to use them all in one go. They need to come in soon and I was pondering how to store them ?

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    BM, someone showed us how to store our excess chillies, we threaded them together using a needle and a piece of cotton, then we hung them up somewhere dry. Apparently they should keep till next year. We are trying this method for the first time so can't say its something we are experienced in.

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    There are many different ways of storing chillies. I've never tried anything with green chillies as all the varieties I grow seem to turn red with no problem.

Freezing them is OK but they will come out soggy. Pickling them is another way that is successful - if you like pickled chillies :).

Drying them is also successful but, unless you have a drier, it can sometimes be hit and miss. The hanging up method works reasonably for the larger, longer chillies but not so well for the small or very thick skinned chillies.

Storing in oil is not recommended as they can still produce fungus whilst in the oil. Having said that, we do a combination by soaking some of our small chillies in a little vinegar for 24 hrs, draining them and then putting them in pure coconut oil and storing the jars in the fridge. They last a year with no trouble at all.

We grow mainly small, very hot, chillies but have a number of other varieties. Apart from chillies being an acquired taste I find that different varieties have different flavours. I'm not keen on the slightly musty flavour of Scotch Bonnet and some varieties of Naga but love the fresh flavour of varieties like Bird's Eye and Tabasco.

I get good success drying our small chillies on kitchen paper and they can last for years. I don't think this way would be successful for large chillies.

This is last week's crop from our two four-year-old plants (sadly, the third plant died this year) which have been cropping (not this heavily) for a few months. The plants are kept in a cold greenhouse from April until the cold weather and brought into the house for the winter.

[​IMG]

I spread them out more thinly than in the picture - this lot are spread out on twice as much paper. The ones on the top left piece of paper were picked six days before the others and are already turning darker and drying. You need to keep an eye on them and remove any that look as though they may be going soft instead of drying. I normally find that about 5% will not look right and I use them straight away.

12. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Shiney thats cool, any special locations for laying out like that ? Mine are red and small and paralysingly hot !

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi BM,

In a warm but not damp position is best. I just leave ours on the kitchen worktop near the cooker. I haven't tried an airing cupboard because we don't have one :D

14. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    We froze a load. Yes they are a bit soggy when you defrost them, but that only becomes an issue if you want to present whole chillis in a salad. If you are going to end up chopping them up in a salsa or in some cooked dish it doesn't matter.

Quite a large quantity we chumbled up and turned into chilli paste. Some of that we froze also, but also kept a pot of it in the fridge and it seemed to last all year without going off. There are numerous recipes on the net. Ours involved covering it in olive oil to help preservation.

15. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I read somewhere that you should stress them. I think it was on here. I did just that. I didn't water them. Low and behold they are ripening away and in October:yho: