My Covid experience.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jocko, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,782
    It is a while since I posted as I have been suffering - and I mean suffering - from Covid. It started about 10 days ago as a sore throat which was joined the following day by a painful cough and by day three I was laid low. Despite having had all my jabs and boosters I was drowning in my own fluids. It was terrifying. I could not get sufficient air into my lungs and the coughing left me feeling like I had been kicked from head to toe.
    For three nights I could not get a wink of sleep. Nor could my good lady who then succumbed to Covid herself. That was worrying as she spent the entire pandemic shielding due to her reduced immune system.
    Now we are both as weak as kittens. I have a dry unproductive cough which is so painful and makes getting to sleep difficult and has left me with a terrible headache. My nose is running like a tap. Mrs Jocko seems to have faired better than me, possibly because she can sleep and spends the afternoons in bed. I just sit on the settee.
    One funny thing about the whole situation was my brother, who like me had gotten this far unscathed, phoned me at the early stages and while I coughed vigorously I explained he was okay as I was wearing a mask! The next day he sent me a photo of his positive test. Didn't know it could be transmitted wirelessly. Maybe there is a 5G link!!
    The only place I could have caught it was the GP surgery. I wish she had arranged a video call instead of face-to-face.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,900
      So sorry to hear you & your good lady caught the dreaded Covid.
      Get well soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,896
        I hope for a speedy recovery Jocko and Mrs Jocko it may take a while to get your full strength back. Everyone will come across it eventually at least its isn't as potent now as it used to be.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +15,334
        So sorry to read that, Jocko. If that's the version having had the vaccines, I dread to think what it would have been like without! Sending best wishes for a steady recovery to you both :grphg:

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +19,308
        Sorry you both caught covid, I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Sorry your brother caught it too. It sounds nasty, although everyone I know whose caught it have said it's like having a cold. Maybe there are different types.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        Yes, get well soon !

Though bad, hopefully the jabs have done their job and prevented things getting to the hospitalisation stage.

Seems some of us might be getting the new Covid Spring Booster jab soon ?

• Like Like x 1
        • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,769
          I hope you both have a speedy recovery.

If I were to share one piece of advice from my own experience with covid, it would be this: Once you start feeling better, still take things slow for a little while. Your body is putting up a hell of a battle and that takes its toll on all your reserves. I found as I was feeling better I'd set out to do all my normal activities, only to feel completely drained within half an hour or so. Let your body rest and recuperate. Build back up slowly and steadily.

Of course it should go without saying, nutrition and hydration are more important than ever as you recover. I had an insatiable appetite for meat and fish, and fruit and veg, even more so than usual. Your body will be throwing everything it's got into the battle, and those reserves need topping up.

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +91,663
          Good evening @Jocko I'm sorry to hear that you and your good lady caught Covid take it easy my friend and hope you feel better very soon:grphg:

• zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
          +577
          Sorry to hear this, hope you are both feeling better soon x

• Jocko

Ratings:
          +6,782
          Thanks, everyone for your sympathy and advice. I have very little appetite (lost a few pounds) and cannot stand to drink anything other than milk.
          My good lady changed the bed this morning. Then spent the rest of the day flaked out on it.
          If I could only draw a decent breath without coughing I would be a happy man.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,381
            upload_2023-3-13_0-22-54.png

Sorry to hear that you and Mrs J have got the dreaded Covid Jocko, I wish you both a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 1
            • Jocko

Ratings:
              +6,782
              Had a frightening night last night. Every time I laid my head down to sleep I felt like I couldn't breathe. I knew it was silly but I couldn't get over it. Ended up sitting up but woke up this morning lying as normal. And alive.
              My wife insisted I speak to the doctor and he checked me out this afternoon. My chest is clear and my O2 levels are fine. He thinks, as I did, that it was just a panic attack.
              Oh, and I tested Positive again with a Lateral Flow Test though Mrs Jocko is now Negative.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
              • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +8,900
                Jacko, Try running cold water in the sink with your head over and try and get some deep breaths. It helped me a great deal when I was having problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,769
                  When I was bad with it, I made a point of just sleeping any time and anywhere I could, even if it was just short naps.

One night I wedged myself into a comfy upright sitting position on the sofa and put the telly on fairly quiet, with the background noise serving as a welcome distraction.

It's easy to say, just try to chill out, but when it's going on that's pretty hard. Please try not to place any expectations or pressure on yourself. Do what you need to do to let your body recover.

I wouldn't worry too much about the recent positive test. It can linger for quite a while, even after the worst symptoms have subsided.

My advice would be to rest. When you've done that, rest some more. Drink plenty of cuppas and water, and rest. And sleep when you can. Hopefully you'll be fit again soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Jocko

Ratings:
                    +6,782
                    That is me finally passing a Lateral Flow Test. Another symptom I am now suffering from is deafness. I was deficient in hearing in my left ear and spot on in my right but now my right is where the left was and the left has little hearing at all. And the TV sounds tinny. Hopefully, this will recover sometime soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 3