My dog (Rose)

Discussion in 'Roses' started by strawman, Aug 15, 2009.

1. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I know that there are hundreds of wonderful cultivated rose species and varieties out there in gardens everywhere, but I have this thing about the common dog rose. I have one growing in my garden and it never disappoints. And what’s more, there’s no black spot, mildew, rust or whatever to spoil its good looks. The image below is one of its flowers and I think that it’s beautiful. Does anyone else share my views of this rose?

[​IMG]

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Good morning Strawman Thanks for sharing,cracking Photo ,The wonderful Dog Rose( Rosa Canina),Its a truly wild and untouched Rose,I think It is an Integral part of our countryside,The Rose hips are full of Vitamin C and can be made into Syrup,Tea and Marmalade,Supposedly named Dog Because of Its use
    in the past centuries as a treatment against Rabies,anyway I had better stop now ,before I fill the whole page up.:thumb::)

3. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your kind remark re my photo, Woo. Oddly enough I've no idea as to how the rose got into my garden, but it's been there for about 18 years now. I treat it by cutting it back with a little cropping each year, but nothing drastic mind you. It flowers magnificently and as you say, it does provide hips full of vitamin C. I have a book, Flora Britannica by Richard Mabey which tells the history of our flora, but I haven't got as far as the dog rose yet.:D

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Good evening Strawman your most welcome, and The Incredible Richard Mabey,an outstanding Author and Producer.:)

5. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    It's Sunday afternoon now, Woo, so, good afternoon to you. Yes, Richard Mabey is a very outstanding writer in his field. Another of his very useful books is : Food for Free. Here he not only gives a little insight in a wild plant's history, but also tells the reader what is edible and what to do with it to get the best out of it. It was through Richard's books that I became fascinated by wild flowers, where after all, those in the wild are the forerunners of all of today's garden plants.:D