My dying box

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by midas, Apr 20, 2011.

1. midas

midas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently acquired a box I was hoping that it would be very happy in it's new home (my garden). Whilst I did notice there was a patch at the back where leaves were thinning it otherwise seemed healthy during the move. However now, 6 weeks on, some strange things are happening...

There is some spring growth on one side, however in other parts the leaves seem to be thinning and the patch is growing. In addition the majority of the plant is now covered in cotton wool-like substance (which you can see in the one of these images) and it's not on any surrounding plants. I can't tell if it's a disease or insect eggs.

I don't know if the two are connected but having kept it well watered and having given it some plant feed, the plant is still not enjoying life. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone seen this before?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Midas.. I am sorry to say this, but I think it may have Box Blight which is an air borne fungus... Sadly as far as I know there is no cure either, but see what others have to say.. :WINK1:

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Leaves would go black with Box blight I think MF?

4. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Looks like Woolley Aphid... You can spray with Provado Bug Killer ,you could physically remove the larger clusters ...maybe a few more thoughts soon ...
    Dave