My fatsia has started to look sad

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Nickoslesteros, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    In wondering if it's anything to do with the near persistent rain we have had. This fatsia looked lush and green only a nunber of weeks ago, and right not it's looking a bit sad with blackened leaves and holes - and without being able to explain how, a bit generally depressed looking!

Would hugely appreciate any thoughts!

PXL_20240414_153954310.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,475
    It doesn't look happy but lots of them are not looking good this year, surprising considering the mild winter.
    The new growth is coming and that will cover up the old leaves that will probably drop at some point in the future.
    I think I would just remove some of the worst looking leaves for now and hope the new ones are healthier, if not a few good feeds might help it.

Basically it looks green enough and not yellow like some I've seen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,075
      I’ve always found Fatsias tricky to grow here. They start off well and then start to decline with yellowing leaves and a generally surly demeanour! The latest one I have is doing well though as I have pruned it into a three stemmed plant and removed all the flagging or discoloured leaves. I’ve also applied a few handfuls of blood fish and bone. Your plant has good fresh new leaves developing so I would give it a tidy up and see how it goes over the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Nickoslesteros

Ratings:
        +13
        Off the back of these advices I have tidied up and fed. Will keep a keen eye on it over the coming weeks. You are right though, these does appear to be a good amount of new growth.

• Like Like x 1
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +1,566
          What's all the variegated foliage from?
          It isn't rain that's the problem as such. They wouldn't grow here if that was the case. :smile:
          They do need reasonably decent soil though, and I always have to take off damaged or tatty looking foliage every spring, because they generally get a bit annihilated with the weather, especially in proper winters.
          I wouldn't worry too much about it though, if you've given it a trim back. It'll soon perk up. If your soil isn't naturally hefty and nutritious, you can add some organic matter - of any kind, which is far better than adding other food. A seaweed feed now and again through summer is good though :smile:

• Nickoslesteros

Ratings:
          +13
          The soil up where it is planted is barely more than sand. And when I say sand, I mean golden coloured! I'll get a load of organic material on it tomorrow and try to improve it a bit.

Blimey, yes. I've just seen the variogated foliage. I'll climb over the pond again tomorrow and take a look!

• Plantminded

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,075
          I should have mentioned that I also added a mulch of farmyard manure around my Fatsia too @Nickoslesteros. I know the kind of soil you mean, I have it here! That variegated plant looks like an Aucuba. I would move it elsewhere and also tidy the area around the base of your Fatsia before adding some organic matter. Make sure that the soil is damp before adding a mulch, ideally after some rain.

• Nickoslesteros

Ratings:
          +13
          I think you are quite right, it is an Aucuba. I sneaked out before to check. Aye - my garden was once sand dunes, so you don't have to dig too deep. It could be tricky moving it as it's right on the edge of my quite large pond. I'll see how I get on! :smile:

• fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +1,566
          I think the amount of sand may be the problem @Nickoslesteros . I have very much the opposite of that, which makes it easier in some respects, but it will probably need a fair bit of improvement to keep it happy long term. Or -you may have to accept that it will need a bit of pruning every so often to keep it smaller, and make it easier for the root system to keep the top happy. Perhaps you could make a raised edge around it and that will make it a bit easier to add more organic matter?

Re the Aucuba, if you keep hacking it off at ground level it may eventually give up. They aren't quite as bloody minded as their green relatives ;)

• JennyJB

JennyJB Gardener

Ratings:
          +947
          That variegated foliage looks like spotted laurel to me. If there's one in there that's been cut down and the roots left in, it will be taking up nutrients and water to the detriment of anything planted nearby.
          I have a big mature fatsia in dry sandy soil up against an east-facing wall. It was there when we moved in in 1988 so light poor soil clearly doesn't bother it. It does need a tidy-up every spring as @fairygirl describes, and most years it gets a few branches taken out right to the base when it's getting too big. At least twice it's been cut right back to stumps and has regrown.

• Like Like x 3
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +1,566
            That's good to know @JennyJB re them coping with the sandier soil. I've never had sandy soil!
            The laurel will certainly be affecting it, although I think a general tidy up and some food now and again, or organic matter added, will help it enormously, but it may not even be needed. :smile:

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
            Ratings:
            +1,699
            Just to upset people who struggle with the bog standard fatsia japonica....it self seeds in my garden!:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Plantminded

Retired
              Ratings:
              +1,075
              Based on the replies above and my own experience, I think Fatsias have an innate desire to torment gardeners and do the opposite to what you expect. My neighbour who has the same dry sandy soil as I do has a Fatsia in her front garden, in full sun and exposed to wind and it's flourishing :doh:.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Ratings:
                +125
                Over the past couple of winters I've lost more plants than in the previous 35 years at this property. Fatsia and Aucuba had both thrived for decades and are now no more, along with a Photinia Red Robin. There are many others which have gone the same way.

• Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
                Ratings:
                +694
                My Fatsia looks a bit brown but I need to give it a cut as it blocks the view down the garden.