My first allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by craigb45, Dec 30, 2011.

1. craigb45

craigb45 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Hi

Just thought I'd join in since I now have my first ever allotment !

I took it over in September, and it was pretty overgrown and horrible to be honest. The saving grace was that it had a decent shed left by the previous owner, and a usable (but seen better days) greenhouse.

Anyway, I'd been waiting 4 years so after initially trying to talk myself out of all the hard work, I decided to give it a go. I've cleared everything out, put some fencing up, made a gate (a first for me), put raised beds down (another first), cleaned up the shed and greenhouse. Hopefully I've uploaded some photo's in case anyone is interested.

• Like Like x 7
    • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      No photos that I can see, but it sounds like you've made a good start and poised ready to go.

Give Ziggy a run for his money with the pictures.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Welcome to Gardeners Corner Craig:)

Congrats on getting the Allotment:dbgrtmb:

Good time of year to get started ready for the new season. Any bits you don't manage to get under cultivation this year, its worth putting a weed barrier down, old carpet or black polythene, gives you a fighting chance.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Blimey, just seen the pics, you've done well there:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • craigb45

Ratings:
          +16
          Thanks guys. I'm very pleased so far. The beds are 12 ft x 6 ft (with one 6 x 6 ft for my son to grow whatever he wants in), so its a fairly sizeable plot. Just planning what to grow now !

Craig

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,881
          Good evening Craig and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: You`ve done very well there, the really exciting bit is yet to come though.:D:dbgrtmb:

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,517
          Yes Craig, well done indeed :thumb:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,984
          Welcome to the forum craig :)

That's a good job, it was in a bit of a state when you took it over. What are you going to fill your raised beds with?

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
          +1,663
          Now the pics are up I can see the progress.
          I bet the neighbours were pleased to see you get started.

Look forward to seeing the results in the Summer. Keep the pics coming so we can follow the progress.:dbgrtmb:

• Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,978
          Gosh that is a great start and what a nice plot you have. Best of luck.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,702
          Very well done on work completed so quickly and yes...we are very interested and your photos and words help to help others.

Keep us all updated and good luck!

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
          • craigb45

Ratings:
            +16
            Thanks for your kind words everyone. I'm very pleased withe progress so far.Its on a site with about 30 other plots and I've made some friends already, who seem more than eager to pass on plenty of tips !

I have a 5 year old son who will be growing whatever he wants in the 6 x 6 bed, but as for the others, its looking like 2 crops per bed, consisting of Runners, Parsnips, Turnips, Beetroot, Swede, Celeriac, Spuds, Brussels, Cabbage, Leeks and Onions, I'm going to grow Toms and Peppers in the greenhouse, and maybe a few chillis. Also fancy growing some herbs and garlic in pots. In the corner there is some rhubarb and raspberry bushes, and I've just put another bed in the opposite corner for strawberries. I also plan to plant a few trees on the eastern side of the plot as that wont overlook anyone, and part of the northern side overlooks a manure heap so might put a plum tree or something there.

The ground in between the beds is really muddy and I'd appreciate any advice about what I can put down that not too expensive but will stop the paths getting waterlogged and muddy.

Looking forward to the Spring and I'll keep putting pics up.

Craig

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,702
            Old carpets are best as a stop gap until you can get something more permanant, turn them upside down so the woven back is uppermost and do not use foam back carpet.

This is upside down carpet in my Polytunnel...

[​IMG]

Steve...:)

• blackcoffeeforme

blackcoffeeforme Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            I am well jells!:cry3:
            Looks like hard work what you did there, but nonetheless rewarding. Keep us posted with new photos. Would be nice to see how the place will look in the summer!

• craigb45

Ratings:
            +16
            So, just a quick update. Its been tipping it down here almost non stop since Xmas, apart from that week of frosty weather we had. I have'nt been down to the plot much, until yesterday when we had 2 tons of topsoil delivered. So, it was a family day out with myself, mini-me, my lovely wife and 70 year old mother who actually grafted more than the rest of us put together !

I did transplant a plum tree (about 2 years old) from the garden to the plot a month ago and although I was worried about moving it, I had a very warm feeling inside when I noticed rather a lot of new growth on the branches !

Yesterday I made a small raised bed down one side of the fence, in a nice sunny spot, in readiness for my raspberry canes. Next job is a Damson bush which I think will go in the corner next to the rhubarb (which is pushing through - trouble is I cant stand rhubarb !).

Also made a bed for Strawberries.

Getting itchy fingers now ! Just need the next month to pass and it should warm up enough to start thinking of planting.

Was chatting to Ernie, a chap in 80's who has a fab plot just round the corner from me. Very jealous ! Its like a market garden ! Really nice chap, just loves to pass on tips and hints and has rather a nice line in single malt's stashed in his polytunnel, so you can imagine I was a bit wobbly when I got home, armed with a much info as I could take in on how to beat carrot fly, slugs, aphids and rabbits !

Happy allotment-ing !

• Like Like x 2