My garden as an allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Luido, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Luido

Luido Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife and I have been debating for a while if it is worth giving up half of our garden as an allotment. In our area there is a chronic shortage of allotment sites and waiting lists lasting for years.

Has anyone done this? Are there any issues I should be aware of before considering it?

I have an image of a kindly amateur gardener enjoying the space that I rarely use and perhaps getting a few fresh veggies out of it.

Or is this just a silly idea?

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not a silly idea and you have your own s pace on your doorstep .

My husband has made me a rasied veggie bed.

Even if you dont want make a big area of your garden into an allotment there are other ways to grow your veggies .

And cheaper and better than supermarkets stuff.

Go for it Luido.

3. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is actually a scheme set up here in the UK I think through the River Cottage group - where they were trying to match up land owners with those seeking allotment space. You can register on their site as a land owner. No idea how the process for matching people up goes, but somewhere to start maybe? Good luck - a lovely gesture to make :)

4. Luido

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to know its not a ridiculous idea. I will look into the River Cottage group thing and see where I get to from there.

5. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    my lovely old neighbour used to let a chap use her whole garden cos she couldnt do it and he grew lots of veggies - he used to borrow my hosepipe over the fence cos she didnt have an outside tap and was usually out

loopy

6. Luido

Ratings:
    +0
    How sweet of you Loopy. I must remember to look into the River Garden thing today. Would be nice to see what are options are. I'll let you know how I get on...

7. Patl

Patl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its not a daft idea.
    We have a semi detached house and last year we ued a patch of lawn in the front garden that you would probably use for a driveway as a veg patch. We have a raised bed 16' x 5' and have had plenty of fresh veg enjoyment and also praise and comments from neighbours passing by. Many of the people I had never really seen before so it has even created new freindships.

Cheers

Pat

8. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Luido. I seem to be reading your question differently to others.
    As I read it you are thinking of giving up part of your garden for someone else to use as an allotment. Is that right ?
    Round about me most people have very big gardens, and some people have given over part of their garden for people with smaller gardens to grow vegetables in. It seems to work very well for them.
    I'm sure it all comes down to who you give the use of the ground to.
    Most people are very nice, but could you live with someone in your garden who turned out to be less than you expected.
    I wouldn't do it unless it was someone personally known to me that I was 100% sure about.
    But that's just me.

9. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    true make sure you can trust them first. but itis a kind gesture
    nice to see there are some decent people still living.