my garden, it needs work done

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sarahandkevin, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sarahandkevin

sarahandkevin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    here is some pictures of my garden before and after, garden still needs work done, but garden has come a long way

one thing i want is some kind of fence of screening, you should be able to see why, what can i get to attach to that green mesh stuff though?

or what can i get that will be easy to put in?

before, this is when we first moved in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after, this is after all the hard work we put into the garden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one day i want it to have screening or a fence all the way around the garden, i dont know what to do about that big bush at the end of garden, i think i will leave it there, if i get fencing all around i think i will have to trim it back though, and some flowers in some places would be nice but dont know where yet

also, i want to build a barbecue with bricks but not sure where to build that!

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    wow you have worked hard!

My advice is to plan, and do a little at a time, which will make the task seem less daunting.

Firstly, where in the garden do you like sitting? Once you have established that, you can then make a plan as to who overlooks you the most, and where the most screening needs to be. Making best use of cash and effort, as a whole fence may not be needed as once plants/borders are put in along a fence line, the wire fence would soon disappear/blend into the background.

From deciding where you want to sit, you can then workout where a BBQ or other features in the garden can go.

The green fence is also a perfect object for climbing plants, that could be trained to go higher at certain points if required, by use of trellis panels for example.

I hope that this helps.

3. sarahandkevin

sarahandkevin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sit at the front of the back garden near the back door most of the time at the moment, but would be nice to sit down the end too, but but neighbours gardens look like a dump, especially the one to the left which cant be seen in the pictures

and the garden opposite can see in our garden which is not nice, i think sarah wants bamboo screening or something like that, but i dont know, she wants something quick as spring is close, with summer soon too

thank you

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You can't beat a new fence for speed and it will hide all the unsightly mess in others gardens and shield yours in time for Summer. I know it seems obvious but anything that would cover that height and width in one season is not for the fainthearted and will cause issues further down the line. Painted a nice very dark green it will give you a firmer idea of what you would want in the future.

5. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cor u've been busy it looked a bit of a mess before. I wouldn't recommend that cheap screening tho as it doesn't stay up in the wind very well and breaks easily and it's quite expensive for what it is. I would save your money and invest in a proper fence.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I think it's very expensive too-I only wanted one roll to attach to my fence and have a honeysuckle-opted for a ball of green string and stout staples instead lol.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I expect this is no help, but just mention it in case. It is not fast, nor is it cheap, but it will look nice!

A Pleached Hedge can be grown to "stand" above your existing (or a replacement) hedge. Leaving a gap between the two will provide an indication of something beyond, without being able to see what's there (well, unless you stand next to the fence and actually look over!) as the higher branches will obscure anything beyond.

Not normally evergreen though

Expensive if you buy them "semi mature" (already trained from about 2M up to about 3M-4M are about £200 each, plant at 2M centres; ready-to-train-yourself will take another couple of years to form and are about £30 per plant)

Edit: OK, they didn't upload in the order I was expecting :(

From Left-to-right: Mature example, Just planted, 12 months on, Mature example

8. sarahandkevin

sarahandkevin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kristen that garden looks very nice

just got back from shops, sarah wanted bamboo screening so ended up getting that lol

got some strong green wire to attach it to the mesh fence, hopefully the wind dont blow the screening away lol

here are two pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi S&K, when i looked at your before garden pics i thought OMG, but you have worked hard and have the start of a good garden, fencing does'e not come cheap, especially when 3 sides need done, we use willow screening down one side of our garden and i love it, Same as yours but Dark Brown and last year i even gave it a coat of D/brown timercare, and it looks Gorgeous :D just make sure you Stretch it when putting it up or it looks Naff if its "wavy" we also put one up for my sis and used those plastic ties that lock once fastened, you know the one's police use instead of handcuffs haha :D

11. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Screening looks good ,iwas working in agarden today an dthe next garden had screening like that and they had hanging plant bags on them looked great.

12. sarahandkevin

sarahandkevin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    here is the screening, finished, its not great at the top but thats because the ground is not level:(

[​IMG]

13. sarahandkevin

sarahandkevin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    put the other roll of screening up today, 2 more rolls left, then i still have more to buy:D

also i want to put grass seed where that bit of mud is, would it be ok to put grass seed down now?

[​IMG]

14. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    What a great space you have back there, nice sized lot.

15. sarahandkevin

sarahandkevin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes there is lots of grass lol

need to think of something to do with the garden as its a bit plain at the moment, flowers or stones somewhere would be nice, but i dont know what flowers or what stones and where to put flowers or stones lol