My Jack Russell - FAO Wiseoldowl

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Sam1974x, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi

Rather than clog up the other thread thought I would post my photos here of my Jack who also has pricked ears. Neither of her parents had pricked ears, although they were both smooth. The dad was black and white and mum was brown and white. Mum was very small and so is our Lucy.

This is when we first got her (normal ears)

[​IMG]

This is now ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is a typical Jack - stubborn!!!

Spends her days lying in bed under the quilt .... or on the sofa sleeping. Such a little madam :hehe: But soooooo loving bless her :)

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    arghhh how sweet she is sam, bless her just georgeous she got lovely colours

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    What a little cracker Sam.. She looks a bit like our Chip & Buddy... But we also have a rough coat called Rocky as well in our family will get some shots of them..

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Sam she just beautiful,a little cracker:thumb::)

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    She's lovely Sam love the spots.

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Lovely dog Sam:thumb:Our Tina used to have big ears like your Lucy and looked quiet commcal when she was a pup,but once she had grown to her full size they looked ok.

Tina's ears were like Lucy's when we first rescued her aged four months but within two weeks they had gone pointed.Tina was a Collie x Terrier so could have got the ears from either parentage:D

7. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks everyone :)

I would like to say Lucy likes watching me gardening but that would involve leaving the comforts of the bed or the sofa which is definately a no-no with her :hehe:

Sophie (our collie/springer X) is the one who follows me round like a hawk!

Kandy - Lucy was the opposite. Her ears were bent over when we got her as a pup and then sprung up a couple of months later and have stayed like that since. Had never seen another Jack with pricked ears until Wideoldowl showed a photos of hers, so nice to see Lucy isnt alone!

Am thinking of breading her this year as she is now 3 so trawling through stud sites trying to find one small like her too ..... not sure who is more fussy though, me or her :hehe:

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Sam, lovely pics. I must say I had never heard/seen Jack Russels with pricked ears until a while ago. Seems like she's got the righ idea to me, regarding sleeping etc.:)

What type of collie cross is Sophie - I mean 'border, sheltie etc'?

Don't know what I think of breeding,not that I know anything, but isn's it a bit uneccessary(sp) to breed? I know that some breeds/people think it is best to let bitches have babies (sorry, puppies,lol) but I don't know. For what reason are you thinking of it?

cheers

9. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Sophie is a border collie / springer spaniel cross. She is chocolate brown with white socks :)

Photo of the two of them together being nice (photo a bit blurry but it was first thing this morning lol)

[​IMG]

The whole breading issue can turn into a whole debate really and different people have different views on it.

All our family have kept/bread Jack Russells and all are very firm in their views that bitches can get nasty as they get older if they have not had a litter (this might not be true for all .....). Lucy is now 3 and we have noticed her getting very snappy at Sophie and with the children too, mainly just growling at them if they dare enter 'her' house. I guess thats some of the reason behind us thinking of letting her have pups this year. Plus it was always just expected that she would have them.

Whereas because Sophie is a cross bread already, we never even thought about letting her have pups .... and our vet told us when Sophie was a puppy that breading her would be a bad idea because of mixing even more cross breads together etc.

With Lucy, we know that the puppy's have homes already (with family) that are litteraly sat waiting for her to have puppies. Had we got to go down the 'sell' them route then we would possibly not do it as I would have a hard time letting a puppy go to a stranger not knowing if they were going to be well cared for etc ..... although because she is so small, we have said if she only has one or two then we will keep them ourselves :)

And until I find a stud dog that I am 100% happy with ..... well then she wont be going near any male dogs :hehe: