My lawn renovation with pics

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by bilabonic, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just a couple of pics to show how recovered my tired lawn. I made massive mistake of laying quality turf on hard clay soil. It does not respond to feed and cannot grow grass on the hard patches and loads remain.

I cut very short, scarified with machine, aerated removing plugs by hand, then applied topsoil/sand/compost mix and reseeded.

Think my only option is to just keep adding topsoil to improve it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It may look good from distance but close up its still bare/patchy but still an improvement.

:gnthb:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    What's happened to it in that pic where it is almost completely bald?

3. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It has been cut short and scarified with machine. Removed about 10 bags of thatch. Then aerated and dressed.

Looks drastic don't it.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Doesn't half look drastic. I didn't realise the scarifying machines were so brutal. And here's me thinking they were little more than a mechanised rake:) I'll have to hire one for a day to do my lawn.

5. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For the price you hire one you may as well buy one. Me and my neighbour chipped in for one of these.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7303205/Trail/searchtext>SCARIFIER.htm

Can do it every year then or as req'd.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Not being funny but a scarified lawn should NOT look like that, the scarifiyer tips should only just touch the surface,pulling up thatch as oposed to cutting into the grass roots and ripping up half the lawn!!

I would sugest regular feeding with liquid feed and Iron sulphate, IMO granulated feeds are fairly inneffective.

7. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i know i was only supposed to remove the thatch but that's the effect i wanted....I was going to get rid off it all and start again so this was an easier compromise.

By doing this i have also levelled it out.

What off the shelf feed do you recommend ?? Will liquid calcified seaweed be ok, its full of iron and i have loads...

Cheers

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Calcified seaweed is excellent, I aways used to use it in the past but our local farm suplier stopped selling it so I now rely on liquid feeds.