1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My little haven

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by bigbore, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    Thought I would post some pictures of my basic garden and tell you a little about it and what I would like to achieve.

We moved here two years ago and this is my first real garden, I have no knowledge and very little green finger experience. I would like loads of tips and advice along the way to help me have a garden I can be proud off.

The main things I would like to do with the planning in mind is
    1, have a Japanese theme
    2, Attract Birds
    3, Have a pond
    4, Plants for all year round
    5, acer trees and lemon trees in pots

This year I,m working on a budget as I get married in November so this is a four year plan. Any spare cash will be going to the garden .

This is how it looked when we first moved in, Not sure the pictures show but it slopes to the house quite a bit , and its a west facing garden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First job I did was create an area where we could sit and enjoy the summer during the warmer months

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once most of the slabs were down it was time to start the mini wall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once done it was time to relax and enjoy, not letting the rain ruin it either

[​IMG]

That was the summer, now winter is here this is the sorry state of the place

[​IMG]

So that was phase one. Now for phase two

I would like to put in a pond on the right hand side of the garden why the trampoline sits ( that's going tip thank god) This is the kind of pond I would like to try and build, also love all of the ferns and the palm tree I think it is in the picture

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading, hope I didn't bore you and if you have any tips or advice I would love to hear from you

All the best for now Jamie

• Like Like x 15
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,311
      It's never boring planning someone else's garden for them:biggrin: First thing to splash out on would be some sort of bamboo 'screen-on-a-roll' or trellis to attach to the fence and to cover the visible sides of the shed, too. Or...more economically, paint them black. Are you planning on Koi carp in the pond? Make it as big and deep as possible if so..they get huge! If you don't have pure clay or limey soil, with a bit of preparation you could grow an Acer in the ground. They're not that fussy about soil, just need shade and shelter from cold winds.
      I'd avoid a flowering cherry in a smallish garden...they have horrendous roots and a pretty short season of interest. Perhaps a Chaenomeles (Japanese quince) would be a good substitute?
      I'm not very well up on Japanese plants but would suggest Anemone japonica, perennial with pink or white flowers. Another very good plant is Ophiopogon planiscapus nigrescens (sorry about that!) the 'black grass'.
      The main thing with any garden design is to get the proportion of evergreens right so the garden looks good all year. Try to avoid too many deciduous flowering shrubs which look deadly when they're not in flower.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +756
        thanks again for your help, so should I trellis both side fences from top to bottom? Also with the shed could I sink bamboo in pots around it as I hear they spread and wouldn't want that.
        I would like a couple of carp in the pond not to many though just want it for the look and sound of trickling water.
        As for the Japanese theme I could get that from the pond and some statues placed around the garden , plants don't have to be Japanese just anything that looks nice.

Jamie

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,311
        Perhaps just trellis the fence with the posts etc showing? Good idea about growing bamboo in containers! Some varieties are less invasive than others but they're devils to control once they start. Long-term, it might be a good idea to dig a big trench and line the sides with some very strong material, then re-fill with soil?

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Done well there Jamie :)

I'd be thinking about blagging a few mirrors to put on the fences, maybe with arches over them to create the illusion of space. They don't half pack em in with new build these days :sad:

• Creative Creative x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +756
            Been given some more plants to think about, not sure if these are suitable for my garden but i'm sure you will let me know.

roses, olive, lemon, orange, zambucca and a mimosa.( in pots ) wisterias. a euonymus , quince , azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, bamboo.

Victoria plum, conference pear, stella and morello cherry trees in tubs. almond tree hebes, dahlias a sorbus tree and lilies

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,079
            Well done Jamie, a great start - looking forward to seeing how phase II goes.

When you look for bamboos try and get so called 'clumping' as these are not invasive. They can be expensive, I got three decent sized ones off Freecycle - car boots are another possibility.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,396
            Well done, so far. :blue thumb:

It also depends on what part of the country you're in. Olives, lemons and oranges are quite ambitious for a start. They can be prone to succumb to bad weather.

Although not evergreen you can get an oriental effect from Leycesteria Formosa and it's hardy in most of the country - needs slight shelter but would be great against the fence. The golden leafed variety (not so many people have this version) can really brighten up the garden in spring and summer.

P1210556.JPG

P1210589.JPG

P1210545.JPG

• Like Like x 7
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,079
              A little gem is Nandina domestica aka Heavenly Bamboo, for year round interest, not hardy everywhere in the UK but in a sheltered garden will do well:

[​IMG]

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/products/ndo/nandina-domestica-heavenly-bamboo

• Like Like x 5
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,396
                Good idea, John. :) Our Nandine survives quite well in our north facing front garden :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                • bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +756
                  Right any tips on anything i should change then please feel free to post, as i'm very new to this and trying to plan and imagine a nice garden is very hard to do for me. So far i think ive gone a little bulb crazy and started to dot them round the place also quite like bits of rock but may have also gone a little over the top.

Starting at the far corner near the shed i have two silver plants ( not sure i like these ) and some tulip bulbs

[​IMG]

again at the far back running along the garage wall some more tulips

[​IMG]

and to the far right of the garden i have planted a bunch of daffs three fern plants behind the water bath and a pyracantha.

[​IMG]

Three different ferns planted around the rocks , which is mainly a shaded area of the garden

[​IMG]

Next to my patio i have planted the dwarf acer tree and built a little slate circle around it and added a bunch of daffs

[​IMG]

Along the patio wall i have added many different bulbs

[​IMG]

more bulbs and a clematis to climb up the fence

[​IMG]

And today i have added some more rocks with a couple of cool plants, not sure if this will take off but i do quite like the look so far

[​IMG]

Hope you like but would like guidance either way pros or negs

Thanks for looking Jamie

• Like Like x 6
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +46,079
                    Looking very good Jamie.

They are Cineraria Silver Dust :dbgrtmb:

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
                      +846
                      Might I suggest shubunkin instead of Koi for your pond? They are much hardier and less fussy about water quality/space etc. they come in many colours and markings and are also different from ordinary goldfish in that they don't have scales, the colouring is on their skin. I find them easy, attractive and soon come to be fed at regular times if you would like to do that (not when temperatures are cold though as they won't digest it).

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,523
                        What clematis have you planted? If you want one to spread nicely and cover the fence on a trellis, try tangutica. I think it has a japanese look to it. This is ours which grows on an arch with a rose. The fluffy bits are seed heads.
                        image.jpg

• Like Like x 6
                        • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,523
                          P.s. I think it looks great so far!

• Agree Agree x 1
                          Thread Status:
                          Not open for further replies.