My Monkey Puzzle tree doesn't look very happy

Discussion in 'Trees' started by xf8u39, Sep 13, 2014.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    DSC04140(2).jpg Hi, I bought this tree about six weeks ago and planted it in the pot you see.
    After a couple of weeks the stem part has started to go brown in colour. Is there a reason for this.
    I understand these trees are UK hardy, so I have left it outside.

I payed about £15 for it delivered so I need to know what I can do to recover it.

Is it worth keeping it inside over winter?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,471
    There are a number of plants in the species but you almost certainly will have the only hardy version that is Araucaria Araucana. I would be inclined to contact the supplier and ask them as it should have a guarantee.

Although they are hardy they prefer to be out of the wind and are happiest in a sunny or semi-sunny position and not north facing. This means that they are OK in almost any garden. I see that it's in a corner so it should be well sheltered (doesn't need to be that well sheltered) but what direction arew the two walls that are around it?

I wouldn't keep it in that pot as it will soon need more root space and nutrition that the small amount of soil in the pot won't be able to give it. Don't keep it in there for more than a year and make sure that it is well drained but still kept moist. Once they are bigger they get on better straight in the soil or sited in a large pot.

Good luck :blue thumb:

3. andrew staib

andrew staib Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi My limited experience with them is that as the top grows the very lower branches naturally die. They like moist conditions but not waterlogged. Good luck!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    Never grown one, but often seen some pretty poor brown young specimens around.

I dont think they move or establish easily, but at the same time some browning of old growth is normal.
    I'd not try it indoors, but perhaps a protected site this winter where it avoids the worst of the rain and frost.

5. 1uk3y

1uk3y Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey,
    I was wondering if anyone could help with mine! I'm worried about it. It was bought for me as a gift so I've grown an attachment to it. I planted it in ericaceous soil as directed and put some drainage at the bottom of the pot for improved drainage but it seems to be going a browny orangey colour?
    any advice on what to do would be fab!

Attached Files: