My new camera is here!

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by RachelN76, Apr 21, 2011.

1. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks to Amazon's one day delivery service. :yess:

canon A3200
    First impressions are that it feels quite flimsy and plasticky compared to my old Fuji, which was metal.

I've taken a few shots on a few different settings and I'm goint upload them soon, but on the basis of what I can see on the screen, they look crisper and clearer than the old camera. And no issue here with the lag time, certainly no worse than other digital cameras I've used.

I'll let you see the photos as soon as I've uploaded and resized them.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    How exciting! Christmas come early :)

My Cannons have had pretty much zero shutter-lag time, and the lenses have been good, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

The elapsed time between taking your first photo and figuring out how to download it to your computer will also be a good benchmark me-thinks :thumb:

3. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    Right I have taken photos. Got them onto computer. Resized them. Uploaded to photobucket. Not bad.

Really pleased. :)

So. Here are some photos. But I think any dodgy photos are my camera skills rather than the camera! Most are taken on the auto or easy setting. Some on the 'kids' setting, and a couple of macro shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as a contrast, here's one of Henry with my old camera
    [​IMG]

And some of the garden with the new camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (and if anyone knows what plant this is, that would be great!)

And finally, some strawberries I got today
    [​IMG]

The main issue i seem to have is white things being too bright (is that over exposed??)
    Like here:
    [​IMG]
    the little flower on the left hand side is too bright. It's actually a very pale lilac, but you can't tell that.
    Any tips or ideas for making that better.

But overall, for about £100, I'm very happy. :)

(And I hope the images aren't too big)

4. greencuisinequeen

greencuisinequeen Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Rachel,
    Wow lovely pics and you can see the difference in sharpeness between the fuji and the cannon too. Ma man has a cannon Powershot A720 with an extra zoom lens. Am not sure on how it works but guess it's just the case of RTFM for me. I've always like scenery pics till I got going on here and now i'm up close and personal with all sorts in the garden :WINK1:
    I really liked your 5th pic the colour & quality is beautiful well done lovi didn't take you long to get going eh :dbgrtmb:
    Have a clicktastic weekend Rachel

Happy days
    GCQ
    :thumbsup:

5. Ped

Ped Apprentice Gardener

Dont have one of those.
    Ratings:
    +4
    It does look a little over exposed to me, but is only one out of the batch, on the whole the photos look pretty good. Automatic exposures, work well "most of the time", however there are limitations and as you use the camera you will quickly find those. There is also a limitation of the image file type, jpeg has less of a tonal range than some other formats like raw and is therefore more prone to blownout highlights and not so easy to correct. One way to trick the auto settings is to set exposure on an area of average tones (grass is excellent) and at similar distance for focus by depressing the shutter button half way & then pointing to the subject and take the photo. Also, look to see if there is a setting in the camera menu for under/over exposing, this would allow you to take a shot at 1 or 2 steps over/under the metered reading. If there is a histogram, you could use that too and lean exposures to slightly under exposed, (lean to the to the left of the histogram) the thinking here is blown out pixels cannot be recovered, but dull ones can be brightened as the image information is there.

After all that though, I wouldnt get too concerned about one or two slightly over exposed images, for the most part the camera can handle most situations well enough as can be seen from the rest of the photos. Happy shooting!
    :happydance:

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    There are lots of "modes" on that camera for various scenes / compositions, I think it tries to select the most appropriate one (goodness knows how! so I suspect that it doesn't get it right 100% of the time). Might be worth trying a shot of the Mauve flower with each the scene-settings to see if there is one that sorts the colours nicely, and then use that in future if you have a light colour in your composition.