My new pocket camera

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Dave W, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    After our last holiday abroad I decided that my DSLR kit was far too heavy and bulky for toting about in 30+ heat and it also took up too much space and weight given the limited baggage allowance. I've now got a little Sony to slip into my pocket and while it doesn't give me the degree of fine control my DSLR allows me, the initial results even under full auto look promising. The zoom looks good and I'll try to do some comparisons with with my Canon but what really grabs me is the built-in GPS. This gives the exact location that the photo was taken and the direction the camera was pointing. May not be of interest to most folk, but since I'm into geocaching and do quite a bit hill walking too the ability to look at a map and mark the precise point a photo was taken is very useful.
    [align=center][​IMG][/align]

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh: Wow whatever next Dave, but what a fantastic idea..!! It is certainly the ticket if you want to plot where you took photos from on holidays & walks... Nice photo too..!! :wink:

I am seriously thinking of not taking my big Fuji away this year because of the weight & space it all takes up, but I do love it for sunsets flowers & views etc from it.. Ho hum will see..

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Well done Dave.. you made the right move. I would not have said that a year or to ago. But todays compacts are rapidly catching up. My first was a mere 1.2GB, now we are to 14 ! with much improved performance.GPS....what ever next

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Very impressed.

I've had a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 7 .2 mega pixels for a few years now, supreceded by even better cameras, but all my photos and videos with sound on this message board were taken with it. Modern digitals are so easy to use and this one, fortunately completely "idiot proof."