my poor fuschias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mimi, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Mimi

Mimi Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, Are anyone else's fuschias dying on them. I have had two potted "blacky" strains which have had all the leaves drop off the stems and a standard which, while it is still flowering, the flowers are becoming increasingly smaller. I have been watering my garden every night and adding plant food once a week. Can anyone shed any light on this sorry state of affairs.

Thanks

Mimi

2. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I have about 6 hardy fuscias in pots which were planted earlier this year and at the moment they seem to be fine. I am watering about every 2nd or 3rd day depending on how dry they seem. Must admit I havent fed them but i did plant them in some compost with fertliser added ad i also put in some horsey poo. They do only get the sun in the afternoon if this has any bearing on it. apart from that I can't really help, sorry

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I think the hot sun is probably the culprit here. Try moving them so that they get less sun. I find dappled shade is best, and even so some of mine are not as good as usual this year.
    If you don't have any shade, how about a gravelled area which you could possibly keep damp?
    [​IMG]

4. Mimi

Mimi Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll give those ideas a go

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    I have had problems with "Blackie", hardly any growth early on for cuttings, poor rooting and poor growth. Think I'll give up on it :( and stick to more reliable varieties.

6. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Fuchsias are happiest in shaded conditions,spray foliage with water at regular intervals.

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi strongylodon, I bought 'Blacky' last year and thought at first it was a poor 'doer' as you say. I managed a few cuttings and the main plant this year is looking much better and flowering acceptably if not freely. I suppose it depends how much you like the colour!

8. suedobie

suedobie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi strongylodon & Liz, I grew "Blackie" for the first time this year and have been very pleased with the results, I bought them as small plants and grew them on in the greenhouse, did not give them and feed just water and heat (I always forget to feed my plants) this is the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fee

Fee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also having problems with my fuschias. I have now moved them out of the direct sunlight, but am worried that it will be too late. Also, I haven't fed them, so maybe that would help. As I'm new to all this, I just stick the plants in the pot and water them - really need to read up on this gardening malarky!!
    [​IMG]

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    have three fushias on my balcony seem ok, one had green fly sprayed it lost the buds and they are just budding now, mine are also in shade and i spray them occasionally as recommended on the label [​IMG]