My spuds chitted themselves!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by lollipop, Feb 2, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Got my box from dtbrowns.co.uk-cheers Dai great link, and being an impatient sort I opened the box to have a peek inside, they have since totally ruined my experiment of half chitted half unchitted-they chitted in the box behind my back! The little sneaky so and so`s! I`ve since opened them out onto the windowsill in my utility room ( or as I call it-my dirt room!).

Time for them to go in but as it`s snowing they won`t go in till it`s stopped.

Anyway, as part of my ongoing observations I am posting a few pics of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I opted for Desiree because you can`t beat a good dollop of mash!

2. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Surely it's a tad early to even think of planting ?

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    They look really strong chits Claire, are you really going to plant some soon, I tried really early ones in the greenhouse once but they never really came to anything.

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I don`t seem to have a choice-I want them in when it`s right for the particular potato. I don`t want weak shoots/

when would you do them given the state of them as is?

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Put them somewhere cool, Claire, that should slow them down, Obviously they have been frightened at some point, that`s why they`ve chit themselves.:rotfl::gnthb:

6. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Claire. I would be tempted to maybe take out some of those shoots, making sure that there are still 'eyes' that can produce more shoots. I had the same problem myself last year when I bought my earlies from B & Q. All I did was as I said, removed the leggy one's. They still chitted ok and I had a reasonable crop having planted out in mid april. Of course, I can't guarantee success, but it worked ok for me. Hope this helps, cheers...freddy.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    As long as they are just above freezing then the chits will stop growing, they still need good light though otherwise they go leggy.

8. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    So an unheated porch would do? Should they go in the frost free greenhouse?

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    That`s fine Claire, as long as it`s frost free and not heated.:thumb:

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Frost free greenhouse probably a bit hard to do, this time of the year ... you could bring them in at night though ...

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I going to put them in the porch, it`s frostfree-not that it always feels that way when I go to collect the milk in a morning.

What do you say about the idea further up the thread about breaking of the current stalks if there are eyes a plenty?

This feels the way it did the first time I divided a phlox plant-extremely disturbingly scary.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "What do you say about the idea further up the thread about breaking of the current stalks if there are eyes a plenty?"

The existing chits look a bit long and spindly, they may break off when you plant them ... if there are other eyes, which have not yet chitted, then they should be capable of chitting - so, in theory !!!, if you break off the existing chits the others will then start growing - and if they have enough light they will grow more compactly.

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    There are actually plenty on them, I was considering cutting them actually-I don`t know how to do it but I remember my grandad doing stuff like this-maybe my memory is shot but I seem to remember him growing spuds from potato peelings or something, and is this right?-you can grow new carrots from the tops you cut off when preparing veg or is someone pulling my chain?

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    You can cut seed potatoes into two, leaving a couple of eyes on each, but I believe there have been studies that suggest you get the same overall crop - so you have more plants, less yield-per-plant, same overall-yield - but you need more soil area.