my strawberries are always deformed...

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ellwilll, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    the ones attatched to the plant in the shop look fine, but when i bring them home the ones that form once theyre in the ground are incredibly distorted, any specific reason for this?

2. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    More information needed, my first thought is rootbound or irregular watering.

3. ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    hmmm. grown on clay-ish soil beneath a tree, but the tree isnt shading them much at all, ive been feeding them, but i havent been watering, i didnt think it was neccesary for ourtside strawbs.... and feeding once weekly

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    I think they havnt been polinated properley with all this manky weather we have had

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • ellwilll

ellwilll Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      it might be to do with the face that theyre surrounded by roses! i just read an article saying that theyre closely related, and so you shouldnt grow them near one another

• ArcticFox1977

ArcticFox1977 Gardener

Firefighter/Driving Instructor
      Ratings:
      +15
      I've heard that it is poor pollination that causes the fruit to be disformed. There are a few of my strawberries in pots that are slightly deformed. They still taste sweet and juicy.
      The other thing i've noticed about mines is that the outside skin splits on them. Can anyone advise on this?