My Utonagans

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Vince, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I love them to bits.

[​IMG]

Shadow, Merlin and Mia.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Oh, WOW, hello Shadow, Merlin and Mia ... you are all so beautiful ... :luv:

Vince, what are Utonogans, please? I'm a silly Welsh girl living in Portugal ... :hehe: They look a cross between Huskies / Collies / Shepherds .... whatever, they are absolutely gorgeous .... are they related to each other? How old are they? Tell us more .....

PS I'm not a dog person ... but if I was .....

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Oh Wow Vince, they are three beauties you have there... I think they are wonderful dogs & I think one of the most attractive things is their Wolf like appearance.. I love Wolves though.. :dh: I have seen them at a dog show once & was so impressed by them.. They are a mix of Alaskan malamute, German shepherd & a Siberian husky I think if my memory serves me right.. All three of those breeds very handsome in their own right I think, but the mix of all three is really gorgeous..!!
    Do you show them Vince or are they just family pets.?

4. Vince

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Utonagans are a fairly new breed and as such have not yet achieved kennel club recognition.

You are quite correct Marley in their origin, well done you :)

Although they are "wolf-a-likes" their is NO wolf content whatsoever. They have superb temperaments and make wonderful pets.

Of the 3 in the photo, Shadow and Merlin are litter brother and sister, Mia is their half sister and "Wizard" who'll be joining our pack later today is half brother to Shadow and Merlin.

Mia (Ch. Sulin Mia Koda Tala@Yazzlemer) to give her the full name is a show champion several times over, she is 4 years old.

Merlin and Shadow are 2 years old and still growing! LOL

Thanks for your lovely comments

Vince

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Oh Vince, they really are beauties... As I say I was so taken by the one at the local dof show I had to go over & talk to the owner & that is how I found about about their origins.... Do put up a photo of all 4 when you get them all together.. So exciting when a new dog enters your pack... :yho:

I know there is no wolf in them Vince don't worry, but I really adore the slight of wolf like appearance they have... That is just me though.. :dh:
    Wolves are a mystical wonder to me & I have been to this place in CA & learnt so much about them..
    http://www.californiawolfcenter.org/

So no confusion Vince.... :D

The lady I talked to at the show said they were the most fantastic family dog she had ever come across. They get on fine with her cats & 2 terriers & apparently that is a trait of their temperment.. :dh: She also said they were NOT gaurd dogs as they would lick the burgurlar to death rather than attack..!!! :hehe: :wink: She did also say they could howl really well... Like if they were bored..!! :lollol:

6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35

I agree with Sis completely, Vince. They are absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing them with us and looking forward to seeing the foursome later on.

7. Vince

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    LOL, yes they can howl and do now and then :(

As for guard dogs? You're right, they are useless but they will protect their"pack", using minimal force I hasten to add. Some moron at a show tried to "set" his pit bull on our (at that time) Dalmatian puppy Amber, the pit bull didn't stand a chance, Merlin was there, he pinned the pit bull down but didn't draw any blood! Yup, Utonagans are in a class of their own and now we have 4 of them LOL

Foursome Kedi-gato?

We also have 6 Dalmatians and a Border Collie!

Glutens for punishment or what?

Foursome!

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Vince you are a star family with that many... Ooops.. No sorry a star pack...!! :yho:

That protective act on Merlin's behalf was wonderful... Strange what some dog owners think too isn't it.. Show dogs or not....!!
    6 Dalmations too, you must be dog nuts, with huge hearts, but that's understandable with that big a pack.... I used to know a Dalmation & she was a nutter, but as soppy as they come & always full of beans..! My 8 yr old grand daughter loves them & always seems to think Cruella Deville is about if she sees one..!!:dh::D
    You obviously enjoy your dogs as I do Vince.. I would love to have more than one at any time but hard in my tiny cottage, but who knows one day.! :wink::thumb: Sorry not forgetting your border collie either.. Also wonderful dogs, I have had 4 of them & won many obedience cups with the last one, Jem... :gnthb: He was a real gem & that was his name, I had to give him a name so went for that only spelt the Cornish way, Jem.. He was a resue dog...

9. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    I think the 'foursome' is referring to Wizard joining the three beauties.

We did have a dog once ... in 1969/70 .. a beautiful collie cross, a pup from a friend whose full-breed 'crossed the line'. Sheba was beautiful but we worked long hours and although the cats (Taffy and T) were fine at home, we felt guilty about Sheba. So at six months we gave her to a work colleague of t'other half .. a guy who lived on a farm and had two small children. Sheba was in heaven there ... and we and she and the family were happy that she had a wonderful home. It was a happy ending. :yho:

10. Vince

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Wizard is now Stryder, other half changed her mind! :(

He is absolutely gorgeous, fast asleep at my feet as I type.

I'll post a piccy once we've got the little chap settled in, something though, Our young Dalmatian bitch, Amber, has taken him under her wing (paw) which bodes well for when we mate her to Our boy Zak, she gonna make a great brood bitch.

Happy families here but he's too young to help digging the allotment! :( :D

11. Vince

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Just had to share, my girl "Shadow" is pregnant!

Our Utonagan count is about to increase :D

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :yahoo: Fantastic News Vince.. Look forward to seeing the pups in a while then.. :WINK1::D