Mystery Monster

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Bob Spade, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Bob Spade

Bob Spade Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have watched this garden invader grow steadily over the summer. It has provided more and more interest as the days go by. Now at nearly 6 feet tall it towers above all other flowers nearby. I would be proud to say I had cultivated it from scratch but not the case. All I want is a name for it, then I can appear knowledgeable when I talk to neighbours and friends about it haha. Thanks for any help.
    Puzzled
    mp1.jpg mp2.jpg mp13.jpg mpl4.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Its some kind of Mallow. Have a Google and see what you find.

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    An in focus picture of the whole plant would help, an indication of the leaf dimensions and more detailed photos rather than thumb nails would all help. The flower makes me think geranium.

4. Bob Spade

Bob Spade Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to make Marshmallows a confection.
    Sorry I failed to give an indication of the leaf size Pete, will try to remember next time. I did however check the thumbnails and in my browser they opened up as a full size image with a single click.

• Like Like x 2