Solved Mystery Plant to Get Rid!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Garry Knight, Sep 20, 2024 at 2:41 PM.

1. Garry Knight

Garry Knight Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

I'm hoping someone can help me please!

This mysterious plant has invaded my garden. It's aggressive and growing everywhere. I tried taking a thin layer of top soil off and that worked for a few weeks but it still grows back. My usually effective weedkiller does nothing to it.

Does anyone know what this is and is there an effective weedkiller to get rid of it please? Thanks.

IMG_20240920_142403.jpg

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,033
    Maybe liverwort
    I get it on part of my drive.
    I give it a light sprinkle of salt which kills it, but it does return weeks later.
    You really don't want to put salt on your soil though - it has a devastating effect on the life therein.

Have you tried glyphosate? that should work, but you may need to trample on the liverwort first as its waxy leaves can prevent uptake.

3. Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
    Ratings:
    +707
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,995
      It's Liverwort, they like damp, shade on compacted soil.

• JWK

Ratings:
      +48,995
      It will just return unless you can improve the soil, where is it? U der trees, hedge? Have you got clay soil?

• Garry Knight

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the reply Pete. My usual weedkiller contains glyphosate but that has had no effect on it. I'll try salt on a section of it though, see if that works. Thanks.

• Garry Knight

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi. The soil around the edges of the garden. There's no trees or hedges. It's so comprehensively covered in it that you can barely distiniguish the soil from the grass. It's just covered in green. I don't think it's clay soil.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,390
        There's not much point throwing chemicals at it because its composition is not like that of plants that are killed by products such as glyphosate.

Try covering it with sharp sand and/or amulch of garden compost to remove the light and improve drainage as soil organisms work it into th esoil. It wn't improve overnight but will be more effective and cheaper than chemicals of any kind and better for your soil.

• JWK

Ratings:
        +48,995
        I think a moss killer will work, I haven't tried as they are not such a problem here.

• Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,390
        There's no point killing it if the soil is not improved as it will just come back.

Someting else to try is aerating the soil. This simple means pushing the tines of a garden fork in as deeply as you can and then pour sharp sand into the holes to keep them open and improve drainage. It's what's recommended for mossy lawns and should work for the liverwort.

Just have to remember to work backwards so you don't stand on the new holes and squish them closed before you've plugged them with sand which can be piled on at intervals and then simply brushed in.

• Like Like x 1