Mystery White Flower

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by SolarFlare, Apr 12, 2010.

1. SolarFlare

SolarFlare Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Well to me they look like white hyacinths that are slowly naturalizing... So they look more like White Bells at present.. blue bells white bells all the same Hyacinth family.. :thumb:

3. SolarFlare

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! That's it! :thku:

When you say "naturalizing" do mean they're reverting back to their natural, wild state? :cnfs:

4. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thats somewhat correct however as cultivars they don't have a wild state as they are of 'Garden Origin' however the numerous hybrids and cultivars that originate from Hyacinthus orientalis do for some reason return to a similar size and flower arrangement of there wild ancestor if left untouched for a number of years, this is why they are usually grown in pots or as bedding so that they can be lifted each year and prevent there naturalization

unfortunatley I couldn't find any information on why they do this:( I can only assume that the plant is getting less and less nutrients and so reduces the outlay of energy in producing large full flower spikes:scratch: in favour of producing a few flowers each year and prolonging it's production of seed?

maybe I'm reading into it a bit too much:lollol: being 3:20AM:snz:

5. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    We have a lot of them in our garden too, but very few white ones, mainly pale pink and pale blue. They do well in a semi-shady area and multiply all by themselves. In fact, they can get out of hand, so you do need to keep an eye on them if they start popping up in areas where you don't want them. However, they put on such a nice show, that it is worth that extra bit of "weeding out". :D

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: No I may not be quite right Aesculus, you have the gist of what I am saying.. If left undisturbed & not lifted they do revert to the slender stemmed plant like a bluebell, but usually the pink will go white bit the blue stay blue for some reason.. :scratch: It is not down to food as I feed all my bulbs after flowering for a good show next year & they all respond but you cannot stop the hyacinths going back to the wild form it seems to the slender stem & blooms.... :wink:

7. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    I would love to be able to see these pictures, but having now waited 20 minutes for them to appear on Flickr I have given up.

8. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    You see what bothers me in a way, is that we have been planting the Xmas Hyacinths out in this garden for the last 14 years and they come up and flower every year exactly the same colour as they were when they flowered in the bowls.
    The odd thing, to me, is that bulbs like this do not revert. They may die and be replaced by seedlings which are a different colour.
    I think the ones in the picture are in fact Spanish Bluebells,in their white form. Now they will seed themselves around and you will get pink, blue, white seedlings and they do spread like wild garlic!
    But, I wouldn't stake my reputation on being correct.
    Hyacinthoides hispanica.
    The sweet smelling Xmas one is Hyacinthus orientalis.

9. SolarFlare

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Palustris. Did you see the images? I can post some directly onto the forum now as I've just opened a photobucket account. Let me know if you'd like me to do that.

I googled images for wild hyacinths and for white bluebells. My plants do resemble the pictures of white hyacinth more though the jury is still out. The petals are very thick (if that helps). The funnels aren't as long and wide as bluebells, my plants have the hyacinth nobble at the base of the flower, and they face sideways rather than hanging down. They do seem to be spreading though, and not just in my garden. My nearest neighbour also has them all over the lawn! No worries though; I like them!
    :cutflwrs:

10. SolarFlare

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the info about naturalization. That's interesting. I wonder why it reverts. What's the difference, biologically between a cultivated, garden, flowering plant and its wild equivalent anyway? Is it genetic? Perhaps it's something to do with recessive genes in the cultivated variety. (Just a very wild guess!) :scratch:

11. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Well, I had a wander round our garden yesterday and all our Hyacinths are flowering and they are all still the same colour as they were when they were planted and they are spreading by bulb offsets not seed. They do not seem to produce seed. The new offsets are the same colour as the the parent bulb and the same all round the stem shape too. By the way the original wild Hyacinth was blue.

12. SolarFlare

Ratings:
    +0
    Interestingly the wildly spreading plants in my 2nd photo turned out not to be the same type as the first. I think they're related wild onion! (I may post another thread about that.) The white hyacinth (photo #1) is the only one of its kind which has appeared. :wink:

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: So do you have`wild garlic coming up all over the`place do you think as this is the time for that now & it has white flowers... :wink: