Naga Chillies and flies

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by slimzee, Jul 18, 2010.

1. slimzee

slimzee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am growing 2 Naga chilli plants at the moment and they are doing very well. I can see the shoots of the chilies coming out now.

The problem is there are lots of small flea/flies around the plant. They are not eating away at anything no real holes in the leaves, but I do not want them around once the chillies start maturing.

What can I do to get rid of them?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I guess they are those tiny black flies? They are called Black fungus gnats and thrive on indoor plants with wet compost. You can get rid of them - it will take about 2 weeks and you don't need to use any chemicals. Chillis don't like wet compost so water lightly and spread a layer of dry sand on the top of the compost to discourage the flies from laying further eggs (as the sand makes it too dry for them).

3. djrock

djrock Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, Some of my tomatoes have them but I think I have cut their numbers down.

I would be careful with sand since I was going to use it but read some types of sand can still contain salt so did not want to risk it.

JWK is right about letting the soil dry out a bit. They don’t like it.

I did not want to risk letting the soil dry out too much so. Since I am growing my tomatoes in pots I took a layer of earth off the top and I covered the top of the soil with a bin bag and put 20mm stones on top to weight it down and to stop them getting down the sides. It must have been two weeks ago since I did that. I have removed the bag and stones and added a layer of dry soil.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455