Narcissi and Hyacinth prepared bulbs - should they be sprouting now?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,658
    I bought packs of 'prepared' bulbs. The narcissi were "Specially treated so they can be potted up indoors for a great display over winter and for Christmas".

Just received the bulbs today, they weren't cheap and not what I was expecting. I've never bought them before and assumed they would look dormant like this pack of 'Erlicheer':
    PA100248.JPG

But some of the Narcissi have quite long sprouts already, surely that isn't right? Should I reject them? These are the worst 'Paperwhite':
    PA100244.JPG

And these 'Sollel D'Or' not quite so pronounced:
    PA100246.JPG

The Hyacinths look better, mostly nothing showing except for this pack of 'prepared' 'Jan Bos' with tiny buds showing:
    InkedPA100250_LI (2).jpg

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Certainly the "Paperwhite" don''t look clever to me. If I was you @JWK I'd be inclined to contact the seller and maybe send them the photos you have shown us if they need proof. I have in the past bought Hyacinths which were being sold cheaply as they had started to sprout. They did fine but if you are paying top dollar for bulbs I wouldn't have expected them to be sprouting either.

• Like Like x 1